• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow plow on 817 (Now that winter is almost over)

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in a mountain subdivision where the residents share plowing duties using pickups. I bought this beauty after nearly a year of procrastination when I found a 12 foot Washau plow at a local auction, rationalizing how much easier this would move snow. I took both to a local welder/fabricator and asked him if mating the two was possible. He did a great job. Just thought I'd share some pictures. The hydraulic pump fills the storage compartment below the driver's door; the reservoir is in the upper compartment with some space left. The plow dismounts with the removal of 2 upper bolts the tow clevis pins and the hydraulic quick disconnects. Everything painted gray or orange stays behind. The only remaining bracketry is bolted to the frame adjacent to the winch. Got it done in time for next year!

Attachments

supermechanic

Nice fab job,skilled craftsman.

In my experience, front frame of 5 ton insufficient for plow that size.
Typically a commercial rig using a plow this size has a double frame.

I have full under-reach frame on one of mine, goes under front axel, with bridge work extending to rear spring hangers.

I also preserved the winch mounting on mine, though I was tempted to remove it due to the extra length it presents to the plow mount.

Easy way to take care of the front spring sag you will experience is to install Timbren brand rubber spring blocks between frame and axle.

Nice project.

Bolkbich

Thats a beautiful job. I like the road plows they are a bunch stronger than my western pro 10ft. I always was worried about my frame with the winch extensions so i beefed them up a bit. I always keep an eye out for cracks or twisting but after 9 years its been good.

NEIOWA

Interesting. Picked up a beautiful (330mi since rebuild) M935 at McCoy DRMO yesterday for my small town. We have a Henke snowplow will be mounting for next winter. replacing a 3/4t Dodge picup that just is not up to the job. Only 15blocks to plow but global warming of the last couple years has piled up too deep for the Dodge.

Got a 925 because in already has hydraulic system with the concept being to remove winch/bumper and install plow.

As looking at it yesterday thinking perhaps useful to leave winch install and and the plow in front of it. But a LOT of weight WAYYYY out front.

Have you got a front axle weight with your plow installed?

cpurtellII

Heck yes that will keep the neighbors roads plowed. Wish I had that when I lived in wyoming looks good. I would keep an on the frame as stated above it would be a bad deal to break the frame and not be able to use it nice job looks very good.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet there are no more "sharing" plow duties next year. You probably will get to do it all!
Nice install. :smile:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks