• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cobratodd

Hi, I have been reading posts on this site for a few weeks, I see there is a ton of information that I am just learning how to search through, and now I am a new member here.

I am looking for some help and opinions regarding owning a bobbed M813 with the super singles. I am sure the purists are appaled at the thought of "bobbing" a functional M813, and some who would ask what's the point in doing that to such a "heavy" truck. I have no logical reason for "wanting" or needing such a vehicle, just simply that I live out in the counrty, I totally love the old military equipment, and couldn't really mange a fullsize 6x6 in my yard. I have done some research on the M813 verses the M35 and could understand going with either, but for now, I'm setting my sight BIG and will step down to the M35 if it makes sense to me, in my own strange logic.

I've owned a variety of unusual vehicles in the past and this would be 80% as a recreational vehicle (shows, camping, tooling around town) with 20% of it being used for function on the farm. (Towing a tailers, a dump run)

So: any advice on where to look for one done, any compentent builders recommendations? I am marginally capiable of doing the backyard hot-rodding and fabing, but no where near skilled enough to even think of undertaking a project of building one myself.

Thank you for your help,
Todd

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! My only comment would be that a bobbed M813 isn't that much smaller than a standard M813. So, if you live in the country, how do you not have room for a few more feet of big truck?;-)

cobratodd

How difficult is it to purchase from the government liquadiation site? I imagine the logistics can be a nightmare, not living near the site that has the vehicle...

There is what appears to be a decent M813 up for auction in March currently in Indiana, but that's 800 miles away, and you have to load it yourself.

Has anyone shipped one of these across the counrty?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With fuel prices going up, shipping will be a very large part of the purchase. You should be able to find a local one.

212sparky

Welcome to the site. save your self the time and get both. once the infection begins the only way to get rid of it is . . . there is no way to get rid of it roflrofl

Vintage iron

I have a M813 w/w. I put 1600R20 Michelin XZL's on it and I drive it in down town Boston all the time. The hard part is finding a parking spot! I bought a 5 ton over a deuce because of the cummins motor and the power steering. I love the truck. If you have any questions or need any help bobbing your truck. drop me a PM. You should be able to find a good truck in New England for a fair price. there are a few in the Steel soldiers classified too.

cobratodd

Thank you for the input.

Mr. Vintage iron, did you use the Hemmt rims or the combat rims for your 16.00R20's? I'm trying to find a place that has both the rims AND tires, and that can mount them. Any suggestions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks