• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help mounting 395s on FMTV wheels

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you have an FMTV???

If they are two piece rims like the HEMMT rims they should have an O ring that will have to be installed correctly to seal the tire properly.

Some tire lube will prob help get the tire slide onto the rim halves.

You will have to replace the CTIS valve stem with another type unless you are installing the tires and rims on a CTIS vehicle.

Last edited:

Vintage iron

There are a lot of threads on balancing big rubber like 1400's or 1600's. There are different methods and products. I would recommend that you check them out. Everyone has there own way, but only you can make the final call. 395's are great tires for a 5 ton. What is their condition? Make sure that you buy a new o-ring for the two piece rim, you will thank me after. Also make sure you can the threads on the bolts that hold the two halves together and put some anti seize on the threads. Get some blue tire goo too. It is like KY for tires and make everything fit better!:-D

802dot1q

Thanks. I think I'm good then. Just wasn't sure if there was anything special with the 395s vs the 1400/1600s. They are going on the 820. I got them from GL. 8 good wheels with 6 good tires. 2 were flat spotted but will work for spares. They are in the middle of getting painted now.

spicergear

I had a problematic wheel & tire combo one time on a two piece non-military wheel with 395 XML's. I used tire slim around the beads to lub the tire and insure a leak proof seal. Good luck to whomever has to take that apart again...the whole center plate was full of RTV. :mrgreen:

802dot1q

I think I got your wheel! It was full of RTV. Must have been 2 tubes of it. Nothing a pressure washer couldn't take care of. [thumbzup]

Dmljohnson

Prepare to work, it takes me about 2 hrs to do one wheel, before that it took me a week, those tires are very heavy, I just change out 6 on my m1088...I’m running 1600’s x 20 on my 1088 and they are heavy...so be careful doing them alone, make sure the seal on the 2 pc rim is good, and check the valve stem to make sure it’s not loose, mines got slack and had to take the wheel back off, what a pain, good luck
1B39EFB7-AA82-4231-9F42-65B3ADB24339.jpg

Last edited:

Dmljohnson

3CD4D181-C916-4D1C-A72D-2957AF9777E0.jpg98222496-19B9-4DBB-BD11-174AA0A6221C.jpg

Look what happen on the 2nd pic, the run flat got between the 2 pc wheel and it leak, make sure and tighten up your bolts before you put air in the tire ....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 726397View attachment 726398

Look what happen on the 2nd pic, the run flat got between the 2 pc wheel and it leak, make sure and tighten up your bolts before you put air in the tire ....
You do not put your o ring in until after the wheel is seated deep enough in the wheel. I dunno how that happened like that with a runflat unless you tried pulling thru with the beadlock studs.

Breaking down a tire with a runflat is soo much easier and quicker than that of a regular insert. Should be about 5 mins a tire to dismount. They seem to break the bead easier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tobyS

I don't see any mention of beadlocks?

Are you using the heavy run flats?

Dmljohnson

With those wide tires I had to push down one end 1st then catch a bolt and run them up, so I think it pinch one end when I ran up the bolt on one end too much, live and learn I guess, it only happen with me on one tire, the rest I was able to run up fine, this was my first time actually attempting to change out tires on a mv..
C90A897F-C984-4D1F-AFF2-83341E229734.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks