• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to MV, Steel Soldiers and M35A2

rampli

I bought my first MV this summer. My brother and I found it at roadside with a hand-painted for sale sign. I am no expert but it appears to be in nearly original condition with only 5K miles. It recently served as a firewood hauler and previously in a NCARNG unit. My brother and I drove it from upstate NY to the Outer Banks, NC where we hoped to quickly sell it to a beach construction outfit. But alas, FEMA lowered the flood ratings of all coastal real estate after Katrina. This has crushed most new construction at the beach. I'm getting comfortable with the idea of keeping now.... the wife is still not sure. I'm picking it up this weekend and bringing it home just in time for XMAS!

I'm still hoping for a quick sale. I'm intrigued by the idea of doing a bob and a Super Single on it. Any comments on the ethics, practicality and resale-ability of such modifications would be appreciated. I have always wanted to restore a FS jeep. I just had no idea it would be FULL SIZE!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome! :beer: Cool beach shot.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck...welcome aboard! How does it do in the sand with those civvy front tires? If you are interested in NDT's for the fronts, contact John Winslow (252-883-2509). He's got bunches of them, including new tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To answer your question, They are great trucks in stock form. A couple of the guys here who shortened thiers got flak on their asking price. If you have a need for the shorty, go for it. I would not put the time and effort into it unless you just want a project.

rampli

Thanks for the welcome. As for the tires... I don't remember. They are high speed truck tires, two different mfgr but seem to be well matched. The previous owner had been running NDT but the local cop hassled him relentlessly until he put these on it. Unfortunately he didn't keep the NDT. As for civi tires in the sand, for this shot we didn't even use the front axle. The sand here is very loose but evenly distributed. Just put it in gear and it pushes through like a paddleboat.

Elwenil

Welcome. Nice to have another Deuce in the area. If you are wanting to sell you might want to put up a ad in the classifieds. Hell, I might know someone interested in it. I'll send you a PM.

JCease

Was this truck sitting in Kitty Hawk on the side of the road with a for sale sign back in the spring of this year?? I was looking at it one time when I was down there. Welcome from some of the other Virginians!

Towman2277

Yeah, great looking truck!! As for the bob idea, it's a good one if you look at the benefits. First, it will be lighter, with less tires, bed area and heavy steel frame. That will improve gas mileage and acceleration, and upkeep (less tires and brakes to change/upkeep). It will also put less strain on the engine, tranny, etc, so it all will last longer also. Then, it will be easier to turn and drive, and will be much easier to find a parking place for. The only downside would be that you can't load it as heavy as if you had tandemns. So, if you planned on hauling heavy loads, keep it as it is. If you like the other benefits, get out the Sawzall and go a' Choppin!!! Just my opinion! When I can grab another truck ( a duece), I will be doing a chop job!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks