• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Aberdeen!

TheBuggyman

Well, it is official, my work schedule permits Aberdeen 2007! I am stoked! (here I thought I was going to have to quit my job.)
Me and a buddy are going to drive up from Fredericksburg, Va in my converted dump USMC M813-A1 on Thursday morning and stay 'till Friday p.m., I might be with Bruce if he does not bring his HEMTT, we'll see.
Looking foward to meeting all who attend!

Any suggestions on carry along stuff? Does everyone bring their own food or do you do a group cookout or a combination? Never been, suggest away!

CGarbee

I will be cooking with/for the NCMVPA/East Coast Convoy-Southern Serial folks who camp near me/drop by. Consider yourself invited to join us (we always cook way too much for every meal).
My spots are three or four rows over from Bruce on the backside of the Yellow vendor section.

Folks in general tend to bring their own, hang out with folks who have stuff, or run over to the local eateries... There are concessions on site, but I don't know of anyone personally who has availed themselves of that option...

Great to hear the the folks at work are being reasonable!

See you in May:

PS: It sounds like you want to arrive early on Thursday, but if you don't mind arriving mid-afternoon, you can join us in the convoy for the ride up. Our expected arrival in Aberdeen is around 2:00PM, but you get the thrill and safety of being with the column...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: aberdeen

For those who want to try the local eateries (I spend a lot of time at APG) - at the back gate to the base is a franchised all you can eat steak house that is very good.

There is a vintage diner in downtown Aberdeen that has great breakfasts (don't order scrapple).

And there is a good seafood place - but I can't remember where it is! (CRS is killing me).

Regards,
David

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring folding chairs and be prepared for rain, Aberdeen is due for a good rain after a couple of years with great weather.
If you smell the Waffle House, you know how to locate me. :)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is great news that so many of the members are inbound for Aberdeen unless the Army sends me away again I am countin on being there. I do wonder how you already know your spots since the sticky on Aberdeen is showing that spots are not available till January is that correct or can I nail down a couple of spots now?

TheBuggyman

Re: RE: My first Aberdeen!

CGarbee said:
I will be cooking with/for the NCMVPA/East Coast Convoy-Southern Serial folks who camp near me/drop by. Consider yourself invited to join us (we always cook way too much for every meal).
My spots are three or four rows over from Bruce on the backside of the Yellow vendor section.

Folks in general tend to bring their own, hang out with folks who have stuff, or run over to the local eateries... There are concessions on site, but I don't know of anyone personally who has availed themselves of that option...

Great to hear the the folks at work are being reasonable!

See you in May:

PS: It sounds like you want to arrive early on Thursday, but if you don't mind arriving mid-afternoon, you can join us in the convoy for the ride up. Our expected arrival in Aberdeen is around 2:00PM, but you get the thrill and safety of being with the column...
Any particular requirements for running in the convoy? Do I just jump on the tail as you go by? What about communications? Do ya'll run a particular CB channel?

More than likely I'll be going up in the morning, but if not I would prefer to be prepared.

CGarbee

Re: RE: My first Aberdeen!

TheBuggyman said:
Any particular requirements for running in the convoy? Do I just jump on the tail as you go by? What about communications? Do ya'll run a particular CB channel?

More than likely I'll be going up in the morning, but if not I would prefer to be prepared.
Not a lot of requirements... You should have minor safety gear such as fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. Your vehicle should have functional lights and brakes with no major fuel, lube leaks, or known defects that would prevent you from attempting the trip, etc. Be legal to operate on the roads (required registration/insurance that you need to operate on the road network where your live).

Be able to travel at 45mph.

Sign up on the www.eastcoastconvoy.com website when we start registration in early 2007 so that we can coordinate when/where you join in and what your placement in the column will be. We will also alert you to the radio frequencies, channels, and cell phone numbers in use (we use CB, Military, FRS, Ham gear, and cell phones) since the folks in the convoy (Canada down to Florida) have varying abilities and we like redundancy. Commo gear is not required but is appreciated.

The tail end of the convoy is reserved for a very particular vehicle and driver that I assign to the position that has a great rapport with me and who has the proper convoy placard, lights, and commo gear.

Each serial group, and the convoy in general, has some folks/vehicles with particular tasks and responsibilities that are assigned in order that we can have a smooth, safe, trip for everyone. Volunteers are encouraged to contact me (or to just indicate on the registration page when it is activated) if they have an interest in a position.

We actually have set routes, stops, meeting locations, and schedules for everyone although we are pretty flexible (both in the planning stages and on the actual days of the convoy). As we get a little closer to the event, I'll be sending out info to everyone that is registered and will be putting some less detailed info up on various forums including the one on this website.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: aberdeen

DDoyle said:
For those who want to try the local eateries (I spend a lot of time at APG) - at the back gate to the base is a franchised all you can eat steak house that is very good.

There is a vintage diner in downtown Aberdeen that has great breakfasts (don't order scrapple).

And there is a good seafood place - but I can't remember where it is! (CRS is killing me).

Regards,
David
Yeah, that Diner is real good for breakfast. However, the seafood place about 1 mile down the road has been bulldozed by developers. I proposed to my wife there about 6 years back, sad to see it go.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: aberdeen

LOL, unloading is never problem. There will be wreckers and cranes all over the place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks