• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New use for goat brake drums

byrdman1312

A few days ago my son was visiting from Ft. Lewis. He is a E-5, EOD team leader. As an EOD tech he has taken it upon himself to learn all he can about landmines. Amoung his counterparts he has become known as "the landmine guy".
We were out behind my shop, where I have quite a collection of "unserviceable" parts (aka scrap iron). He spotted a M561 brake drum, partially buried in the mud. He asked what it was. I told him. He said it bore a striking likeness to a anti-tank mine, and he wanted it.
He said that he was going to use it as a training aid. He also said he would have the new techs looking for it in "pubs" (ID publications) for hours trying to ID it. He also said that they ran into some russian truck brake drums in Iraq that looked just like a mine. He explained that it was important that they learned the difference between ordanance and stuff that looked like it.
I thought you gamagoat folks would find that intresting, I did.

byrdman1312

Thanks Jeff, I'll pass that on. I see you're from Kansas. When he deployed to Iraq, he was with 630th EOD from Ft. Riley.
I'm mighty proud of that boy!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Interesting! Yeah, I can see how a Gama Goat brake drum would look more like a mine than a brake drum to somebody who hadn't seen one before. Since they go on the outside of the wheel, they don't have the usual big hub opening in the center.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks