• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M813 Owner - Progress

cobratodd

So far I have received my 1970 M813 (driven 622 miles from Ohio) and couldn't be happier. Matt (Vintageiron) has been a HUGE help with setting me straight on owning one of these trucks. Once it arrived, I was a bit concerned that I got in over my head, but I have since been talked down of the ledge, so to speak. I was also humbled by how the systems on these vehicles; simple in nature, life & death critical, and very robust, need the up most respect and attention with regards to learning and understanding their safe operation and maintenance. (I have a long way to go).

Found insurance for it, must be a Collector Vehicle policy which requires locked storage - all set with that next week.

Once the insurance is established, it's registration time week - if all goes well, it should be good to go by Thursday.

At this point, I am working toward changing over the wheels from the stock 11.00R20's to 14.00R20 Goodyear AT2's on HEMTT wheels. The new orings are here, new valve stems, balancing beads, tires and wheels. The longer front studs and rear lug nuts are on their way (left and right thread).

The only thing I haven't located are the internal bead-lock devices for the tires/rims. Does anyone have a lead on where can I locate those for 6 HEMTT wheels and 14.00R20 tires?

I wish I had done this when I was younger!

cobratodd

Long over due update

Any updates on this project?
It's been a long time since this was first posted, and here's where I am at:
Since I received my 1970 M813, I had dropped it off at a fellow Steel Soldiers member facility near Boston MA, where Matt went through and changed the all of fluids, flushed out the fuel tank, new filters, grease, and clutch. The darn poppet valve was a problem, it was replaced, and remained a problem long afterward - it still is today...

The 14.00R20 Goodyears are on Combat wheels with bead-locks, and a vet in town, did a fantastic job of repainting the original camouflage paint in lieu of the plain solid green, and tweaked the motor to run as well as it could.

The winters have been rough and the snow caved in the "tent' in the back, so I'm looking for new bows and curved corners.

If I hit lotto, I'd put a bright light bar on the roof, upgrade the head and tail lights to LED's and consider swapping in an NT350, not to go faster, but to keep me moving at 55 up some of the hills on the highway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks