• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC51/52 to WC62/63 question

citizensoldier

Is the front end on the Dodge WC62/63's exactly the same as the WC51/52 trucks? Same frame rail size? Same front springs? Are both vehicles geared the same? I see the WC's are 3 inches wider than the M37 frame and axle mounts. Any info on the difference between the two would be most appreciated.

WolfWalking

The answer is yes, the majority of the parts on the 3/4 and 1 1/2 tons are the same. In fact, the heavier upgrades in the 62/63 were incorporated into the 3/4 tons, i.e. ring and pinion. So specs for the parts are the same after 43'. If you can, get the Ordnance Supply Catalog for the 3/4 ton, I have the ORD 9 SNL G-507 for the 1 1/2 tons, we can cross reference parts if you like.

Or wait, which way are you looking to go, 3/4 to 1 1/2, or 1 1/2 to 3/4 ton? Or am I just confusing myself, which is easily done nowadays.

citizensoldier

I have a WC 62 rear suspension, tranfer case, and frame that was cut off behind the cab. My intention was to build a 6x6 M37 but the frames and axle width are not the same. So I am just checking on some specs. Weighing my options as they say.

WolfWalking

The M37 was designed from the ground up, all new specs. Your idea sounds interesting, might be interesting to see if it works, good luck.

Now they did work on a prototype for an airlifted 1 1/2 ton, has the field break behind the cab. You could consider that as a possibility for the match up. Corresponding plates bolted together, braces, and such.

marlin_gunner

WC37 6x6 mod

Well, since this is going to be a resto-mod, why not go a bit wild. Have you seen the flex frame setups? The whole point is to put a pivot in the middle of the frame. This is a way of hooking up two different frame widths.

Bill W

I have the book it was put out by portrayl press awhile back for the Dodge trucks ( Mil & Civie ) interchanges 1941-1971

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks