• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

National Museum of the U.S.A.F.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Click on top left of map for full picture. Click on MAP to pick new viewing area. Don't miss going to full screen, it is well worth the effort.Be very careful where you go as you may get lost in one of the galleries and have to go back to the main map.

This might be one of the most advanced sites you have ever been in. Click on the MAP in the upper right hand corner to bring down a visual menu of the different sites within the museum, then click on a dot within that site to view the exhibits from that camera angle and then follow (click on) the arrows.

National Museum of the U.S. Air Force - Virtual Tour

p.s. - If you ever have to go to WPAFB for a load-out, you are about a mile away from the museum. It takes every bit of a full (business) day to see most of the musuem. There is also an iMax theater inside.

I agree 319! An absolutely awsome museum! I lived in Riverside Ohio right dwn the road from there for a little while a few years ago and loved going there whenever I could. Thanks to oifvet for posting the link to the virtual tour! It really brought back some fond memories! :mrgreen:
:beer:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always recommend it to everyone coming into town. Dragonman came in last Sat to pick up his 101 at my place and went straight out to the museum before continuing his trip.

I drive past the museum when I do pickups at GL as it is basically on the street I live on due east.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for sharing the link. I've been to a lot of Museum's and there is nothing that compares to the USAF Museum.

If you've never been there, the B-29 "Bockscar" is on display..... and there is nothing like being that close to history that changed the world.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Bill, we have enough land out here to have a rally with a convoy to the museum. Right past the national cemetery through downtown Dayton to the entrance.

For all the people needing an excuse to go to the museum.

:)

Yeah, what Bluto said. I'm in. I live in Fairborn and have been to the USAF Museum many times, but there's always something new that catches the eye. The newest exhibit is probably the spy satellites in the Cold War exhibit hall. There's also a reunion of the last few remaining members of the Doolitte Raid in early April this year to mark the 70th anniversary of the raid. The people who are behind the reunion are attempting to gather together 20 - 25 B-25 bombers for one last fly past. I don't know if they've been successful, but I hope so as even 20-25 bombers flying in formation is impressive. They tried this in 2010 too for the 68th anniversary, but I don't remember how many they actually had. I toook a few snap shots though and I'll try to load them up on the site (if I find them that is)

Attachments

skinnedknuckles

Last year during the MVPA convention in Dayton I ended up going to the museum 4 times including the restoration hanger. Totally Awesome place, starting from the beginning of flight to the present and with the reunion of the Doolittle raid this month ( I think that there are 5 survivors still with us :) and they are supposed to be there), WOW . Don't forget the Wright brothers interpretive center just a short distance from the Air Force museum.
Steve, Thanks again for the hospitality and the place to park my truck and camper. You have plenty of room over there for a get-together thats for sure :beer:

Paul in Janesville,Wis

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul, good to see you are still on here.

Stop by and practice driving the truck with no brakes.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Bill, we have enough land out here to have a rally with a convoy to the museum. Right past the national cemetery through downtown Dayton to the entrance.

For all the people needing an excuse to go to the museum.
Steve,

You are right! Not a bad idea!

It's funny, I live < 10 miles from the museum and have not been there to tour it in years! It is an amazing place! I remember when it was slated to be closed back during the Clinton era, but was saved! That was a close one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks