• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 needs more power

tiny110

Banned
I just put 53 inch tires on my m818 and I love it! I am looking for information on how to turn the fuel up a bit. I know this motor is not much of a power house but every bit counts. I have done a few searches and can't find all the information I need on how to turn the fuel up. Has anyone done a help to with pictures like what was done on the duece forum? And how I do I let my egt's get?

Thanks for the help guys I know yall will get me pointed in the right direction..

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well from what I know, the NHC 250 is not that easy to get more power out of.

At 855 cubic inches, it is the same block as the 400 but there are a lot of differences. Without going into the painful details, you can certainly turn the pump up but will need bigger injectors to do any good.

With a turboed duece, you can just turn up the pump and get an instant performance increase. With the NHC 250, not so much. I wish it were different, but it isn't.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ask WILL WAGNER

The easiest way to get more power is to get rid of the 53s

M813A1

There are several things that an be done and it has been done by several people !! you can hane the fuel buton in the Injetoer pump and you can adjust the I/P, Just like 73m819 said chek with WilWagner, he can give you the best info.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get rid of the 53's

Depends on which pump you have. Take a pic of it where the throttle lever is.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
not the SITE, when my mini rat started to DIE, it would double click about 50% of the time, a real pain in the A$$, I finally opened the back door and through it out into the back yard, used another mini rat, no more double click, not sure if the replacement fixed the problem because it was another unit, or did not want what happened to the first rat to happen to it, either way no more double click

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think it is the site that's doubling posts. I get the "15 second between posts" warning frequently when I post, no matter which computer I use. My post gets submitted, and the 15 second limiter appears to be the only thing keeping me from double-posting. I don't have similar problems anywhere else.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could squeeze a 18 or 20 speed into it and it would give you the low gears needed to get the big tires rolling and the high gears to make it a 100 mph truck

tiny110

Banned
Thanks guys I will get some pics up hopefully tomorrow. I had a busy day today. If I can just make a bit more power I would be happy. If I can't get any more power out of it I could live with that too though. I have a friend that asked me to drive up to red river army depot to pick up a I have 5 ton van for him. I would like to go in my m 818 and not the deuce. It would be nice to have a bit more power for a trip like this. But I don't plan on really ever pulling anything heavy with this truck. So the slow exceleration is worth it to me to have the big tires and faster road speed.

tiny110

Banned
i know how to split shift. i do it all the time in my duece. i have no prob with the power 1h-3high it just it takes so long to get up to speed in 4h and 5h. thats where i need the power. if its really making 250hp another 40 or 50 hp would be great. yall thank it can do that much?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours is easy. There is a ball in the throttle shaft, some are plastic, some are metal. Drill it out...BE CAREFUL!!! if you let the drill push through the ball it will turn the screw behind it into a position that will make the truck almost un driveable!!...Take the ball out of the shaft, I like to use a 1/8 bit, then stick a punch in the hole and pry the ball out. Turn the screw 1/8 of a turn at a time OUT, that's to the left for those of you that have issues remembering which way to loosen things!! Be careful, this adjustment opens the hole in the throttle shaft to allow more rail pressure to the injectors. That's it, easy as pie. Just remember, a little goes a long way. This will not give you more speed, only a bit more rail pressure...if the throttle shaft leakage isn't too high... that will hopefully give you a bit quicker acceleration and power. I don't want to hear anything if you screw something up.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Still the easiest way to get MORE power is to LOOSE the BIG tires

My 36,000 lb m819 with OE 1200x20s will do 65 mph just under tach on open road, the HOLE between 3rd and 4th is the nature of the beast (od 5t trans), NO matter what people say or do, the transfer is not made for split shifting,

Last edited:

tiny110

Banned
Thanks willwagner! I will give it a try. Do you have a guess at how much I can turn it up with out a egt gauge and stay on the safe side? I will have a egt gauge soon but I have a trailer that I have to go pick up and it would be nice to have the extra power. When i do get a egt gauge how hot would you say I should let it run?

Yeah I know the big tires are hurting her 73m819. But they just look too **** cool. I'm not going to be running l loaded very much so the lost of exceleration is it really that big of a deal.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, NONE. Ditch the big cool tires. Wait 'till you have a front blow out. Those SUCK! I think 73M819 can attest to that. A front failure in a stock deuce has a pucker factor of 25+, can't imagine what a big asz tire like that would feel like. 2cents

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yeah, NONE. Ditch the big cool tires. Wait 'till you have a front blow out. Those SUCK! I think 73M819 can attest to that. A front failure in a stock deuce has a pucker factor of 25+, can't imagine what a big asz tire like that would feel like. 2cents

A blow out on the r/f at 60 in 0800 traffic with the 819 has a PUKER factor EQUAL to the JAP tsunami

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks