• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upcoming recovery at Ft. Bragg, NC

tracerbow

Won an M1101 just a few weeks ago and my EUC came thru this morning - took just over 2 weeks from submission to approval for a first timer. So much for the 30 to 60 days I was planning for.

And of course, my 10 day window is going to close while I am on a pre scheduled trip out of state. I am hoping I can coax 3 or 4 extra days from the folks at Fort Bragg, in order to arrange a loadout date and time. Anyone have any success or advice to report on this issue?

It is a long trip back to Ohio, so just in case I am planning on loading the M1101 on a flatbed and towing the whole package back. I will take some pics and keep you updated on how things go.

mj1angier

Tracer,
If push comes to shove and they will not give you more time, I live about 30 min from base and can do a pick up for you. I have never had to ask for more days at Bragg but have at other bases and they were ok with it.
I just picked my m1101 about 2 weeks ago. It pulled fine behind my f250.

tbone1004

I can run and get it for you as well. Where do you live? I'm in south raleigh so if it's more convenient for you to pick up in the triangle we can work something out.

clutzer

Won an M1101 just a few weeks ago and my EUC came thru this morning - took just over 2 weeks from submission to approval for a first timer. So much for the 30 to 60 days I was planning for.

And of course, my 10 day window is going to close while I am on a pre scheduled trip out of state. I am hoping I can coax 3 or 4 extra days from the folks at Fort Bragg, in order to arrange a loadout date and time. Anyone have any success or advice to report on this issue?

It is a long trip back to Ohio, so just in case I am planning on loading the M1101 on a flatbed and towing the whole package back. I will take some pics and keep you updated on how things go.
I didn't have a problem extending my 10 days. Just call the number on your invoice (i.e. the number of the GL location you'll be picking it up at) and be nice, courteous and they should extend it for you. I requested a specific date, and Joyce (she works at JBLM) allowed it.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just tow the trailer out instead of flatbedding it?

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
traderbow : I`ve picked up several times at Bragg and would be glad to pick yours up. I live in Reidsville N.C. just North of Greensboro N.C. But call and see if your time dan be extended. But be nice . should work out for you. Got any Pics of your trailer? Are the tires ok will someone need a spare> Keep us posted. ANDnopics LOL

tracerbow

Many thanks

Wow, many thanks to all 3 of you offering to help me out...seriously much appreciated[thumbzup]

As it turns out, as predicted by the others that responded, I got in touch with the base this afternoon and spoke to gent named Cecil; explained my scenario and he said "no problem, give me a call when you get back and we will set you up with a loadout time." So, this is going to work out well.:mrgreen:

And the decision to flat-bed it back to Ohio was primarily due to the time and distance involved, just in case there are any issues with brakes, hubs, tires, etc. I am pretty busy right now with work so I don't have the time to tool around with it and take a couple days to get it home. For $45 I have a flat-bed rental lined up and will just make a day of running down to get it and bring it home.

Only pics I have are pulled from GL. Not certain how accurate the pics are. There were 12 of them on auction that afternoon and seems like many of the pics were identical for different lots. Guess I'll know in a couple weeks.

I will take some recovery pics and update this thread, thanks again.[thumbzup]

Attachments

tracerbow

Harley, well things were looking pretty good that afternoon....thought I had it locked up for 385, but got in a bidding war with somebody I think was trying to pick up more than one trailer. I ended up winning it at 501. Not sure if that is good or not, but I thought it was worth it. Saw a couple covered ones go early for around 700 or 750 and then a few more closer to 1,000.

tracerbow

Hey thanks, I trust your judgment, that makes me feel great. Love the paint on your trailer; think I read you sprayed that with an inexpensive HVLP gun? Looks great!

I may take a page out of your playbook there. Have to wait and see how my paint looks. I like the army camo overall, but keep thinking how cool it would look with a black, gray, green scheme, along the lines of a naval marpat......my tow vehicle is dark gray.

tracerbow

Update and pics!

Well i made the trip down to Fort Bragg and recovered the M1101. Was a long trip from Ohio, 10 hours down, 1.5 to get on base and loaded, 11.5 hours back. Made it 21 hours but then had to sleep for about 3 hours when I got to the Ohio line.

Looks to be in nice shape overall and has all 3 tags showing the recall service items were done. Probably would have towed fine, but hauling it back on the flatbed worked out well. Interestingly, the trailer bed held some remnants of sand and about a dozen small granite-looking rocks which I am presuming are from Iraq as the troops from Fort Bragg have had longstanding deployments there....kinda cool!:)

Next step will be to pull wheels and check hubs / bearings...might be sand in there!

Thanks again to all for advice. And here are a couple pics.

Attachments

tracerbow

Hey Harley, figured I would take some razzing for the VW Touareg!

Actually, it performed really, really well. Water temp never went over 200. Oil temp was 190 to 210 except when I climbed Fancy Gap at the Virginia- NC line, saw 220 on the oil there. Had good climbing in 5th and 6th gear, tho certainly needed 4th gear at Fancy Gap. Towed nice and straight and front end was well planted so had good steering response.

I'll bet many guys would be surprised to learn the towing capacity on the Toureg is very respectable 7,700 pounds. My load was approximately 5,000.

CGarbee

My only comment at this point is that you should have waved as you came through Raleigh...
Good to see that the trip went well for you.
The folks at Bragg (from the MP's at the Gate to the DRMO and GL folks at the yard) are great to work with...

Enjoy,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks