• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Code of Conduct

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a written MV collectors "code of conduct" while in public?
Would an SS "code of conduct" be helpful to those who are upcoming MV operators?
While sitting in the M135 surrounded by heavy traffic and performing amazing, courteous defensive driver techniques I wondered of the 'mind-set' of other MVers' while operating. When the opportunity arose to "let someone in" or avoid hitting them while they whip in front of my 12,000 lb antique, I accepted my role and just waved back with my entire hand and not the offending single appendage they asked for. I may not be as calm in my civilian vehicle however feel the need to 'behave' at a different level when in the green gear.
There always seems to be the self expected presence of professionalism when discussing driver conduct with other MVPA operators but there is a limited definition of details. In the short time I have been involved with the MVPA I've observed a growing interest from a youthful demographic and thought it useful to search 'code of conduct' expectations while operating an MV.
I haven't found an SS 'code of ethics' or suggested 'best practises' while operating your MV and with several thousand trips planned this year felt this may be a place to start. If there are 'thousands of threads' on this then the opportunity exists to gather them in one place under the 'code of conduct' title.
Just the simple statement, "I shall ensure I fully understand the weight capacities of my truck and trailer prior to hauling an MV of any size", may save someone some grief.
I did find MV 'event' conduct, RC club conduct and even how to conduct myself after being captured by the enemy but nothing specific to deal with 'private' MV operations conduct in public.
Code of Conduct MVT Military Vehicle Trust
Code of Conduct - Kawartha Lakes Flyers
With the diverse experience levels and Point of View...POV... on SS I thought it may be a place to start.
It's a pro-active opportunity to provide direction to those in your footsteps.

ARYankee

I do just about the same. I conduct myself much more professional in my MV than my civi. I tend to be way more cautious and patient driving my MVs.

This is an excellent thread because with all the non-MV friendly legislation happening we do need to watch how we conduct ourselves in these vehicles. All it takes is that one negative oopsy.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea. [thumbzup] It makes (common) sense.

The only thing is, you are always going to have that 10%.

That is something that I have learned and learned time and again. I had a Drill Instructor in the Marine Corps that preached it and preached it.

You are ALWAYS going to have that 10%.

trukhead

Yup,every time I drive A3 I realize it isn't a Sirocco or a Porsche or Lexus or a Ccorolla or whatever the prevailing trendy speedster is at the time, I am operating a vehicle that will cause great damage and hurt if operated in any other fashion than courteous, safe, forgiving, thoughtful and planning ahead fashion.

In this state we have gone through a great deal of hoops to get MVs to some degree of legitimacy for general operation in the public's eye so courteous, patient operation are in my game plan and I hope in all other owners as well. I figure if I'm in a hurry, I'm in the wrong vehicle and I'll get into something with 4 wheels..:grin:

:soapbox:

trukhead

I like the idea. [thumbzup] It makes (common) sense.

The only thing is, you are always going to have that 10%.

To the 10%, PLEASE consider you are driving the equivalent of a car crushing, all wheel drive monster truck in the eyes of the general public.

If the public drives like a$$*^%#s and cuts you off or whatever, just remember, they're stuck in their little box they don't get to have the fun you are having operating your MV, and they're jealous, in a hurry, an idiot, got an itch they can't scratch, the baby just puked, kids are screaming, the better half just shown they aint so much better,or a million other issues............

Please be courteous and realize you are in your happy place!:driver:

bonshawman

I recall that perhaps the MVPA deployed a convoy "rules of the road" or the like - dealing with speed, headlights on, distance between vehicles, progression through traffic control devices (lights, etc). I know that on their long schedule convoys (Alaska upcoming) they have some very specific requirements.

Unfortunately there is little "common" about "common sense". Here is South Florida (Miami) traffic load and regulatory adherence, let alone courtesy - it is always risky business out on the roads.

Having driven big rigs for years, well, you know all the idiot drive stories or you can well imagine them.

As a "club" we "represent", and even MC clubs have rules for their members when together and representing the club. It puts forth whatever image is desired. Individuals in their MVs are on their own for what they display (like driving down the highway with uncovered weapons) perhaps regulated by law enforcement, perhaps just by their own sense of entitlement and decision making. However, in a group, it is always best to have some (even loose) structure. In parades, over use of sirens is sometimes an issue (even their legality on an MV) - we certainly should be aware that our conduct could reflect on the hobby, and could even lead to legislation we don't want, perhaps initiated because of complaints about behavior.

I am careful not to abuse the circumstances. For example, although my M931 certainly appears "military", it is not currently issued to any governmental agency, which means it needs to comply with regulations regarding agricultural inspection stations, weigh stations, etc as applicable. Normal military/government are exempted - so if I choose to "pretend" that somehow my truck is still "in service" and therefore as it's operator, so am I, I am potentially doing a disservice to the hobby we enjoy.

Likewise there have been threads about wearing uniforms in MVs - as I am not a re-enactor, and I have not earned rank, I may wear BDUs, but nothing that represents membership in the armed forces or rank therein - again - for me personally it just feels like the right way to go.

There is "appearance" from how we present and behave, and then there is safety when in a group. Safe operation of often large and heavy MVs dictates that, especially in a group, we agree/adhere to some basic guidelines.

combatmech

Living in an area that has so many current in-service and former MV's driving the local roads, I also conduct myself in a professional defensive driving manner.
I see so many POV's with certain types of unit or other military related decals on their cars driving like idiots. I would hate to give them any fuel to fire up a bad opinion.
Like Bonshawman said, It would take a few incidents for someone to form a bad opinion of MV clubs and or owners.

F18hornetM

I agree with all, as much as we have to fight to the keep the right to have them. I dont want something I did to hurt the hobby. So I am also careful and stay out of everybodys way, almost like riding a motorcycle. I often take back roads and stay off the highways especially at night or heavy traffic periods.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of our trucks take up the same footprint and weigh just as much as most commercial trucks. My 818 is 23 ft. long and weighs in at a scant 19500lbs. Joe Motorist is used to driving around the civilian trucks and doesn't think twice about them. I mean, it's just rubber and steel. Right? No, our trucks are former military and carry a much higher intimidation factor just because of their looks.

I always drive with lights on, stay to the right, both hands on the wheel unless shifting, always scanning the mirrors and always yield right of way to smaller cars no matter how obnoxious they drive. You can never be in a hurry in these beasts after all they were never meant for speed. Never out drive your braking distance, but think far enough ahead to avoid catastrophe. I watch every driveway and side street because you just don't know who will pull out in front of you due to their own distraction.

Show your truck and always entertain questions no matter how trivial or stupid they may seem. People are very curious of these trucks. Use this as an opportunity to educate to eliminate the ignorance of the general public.

DO NOT use your truck as a political platform. It served for democracy so just leave it that.

plowboy

I drive the M915a1 just like I drive any of our other semis, except I don't have to shift.

FWIW, it is our policy for operators to avoid running into or over things regardless what truck or other machine they may be driving.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

The main point is just to remind people to be patient and careful. Those are basic rules of the road anyway. Our hobby is subject to public opinion so we need to be mindful of that. Besides, even if a list of "rules" was made and mandated, who would enforce it? I think a code of conduct would be a way to outline the basic things to remember when driving a MV.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what we need more rules that other people thank we need to live by. Now that i stepped out in front of the firing squad.
I understand your point

Maybe, don't think of them as "rules" per se... Just some friendly suggestions that might pay-off. :)

I believe tha OP is just expressing his desire to see the responsible members of our MV hobby/community take time to consider what others see when we are out-and-about.

We live in a time where the knee-jerk reaction to one incident is the approach to problem-solving. That's why kids (young and old) don't have some of the cool, fun toys of the good 'ole days!

Some lady burns her lap with hot coffee, and we all have to pay...

Some MV hobbyist does something that gets put on TV and we all have to pay...

It's kind of like a mission statement, or vision statement... Just something to take notice of from time-to-time... As a gentle reminder.

Now take off that blindfold and that shirt with the big dot on the front and c'mon inside for some coffee! :)

tiny110

Banned
I have been driving for a living in 1 form or another since I was 16 years old. I have had every type of drivers license And endorsement on my license that you can get in the state of texas. When I drive I try not to hit anyone just so I don't get my nice pretty trucks scratched up. Lol Common sense and common courtesy do not exist anymore on the road. I do my best! But if you find yourself underneath an old rusty army truck squash flight Just know that I have done everything possible to keep you from being there. ButI do not feel sorry for you!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV Owners 'Code of Conduct'

I chose the 'Safety' forum because it is the limiting factor in the success of this hobby/dedication. The implications of a privately owned MV failure is not 'known' by all....it is learned.

Newcomers to the hobby need to start somewhere and if they had a (another?) point by point 'code of conduct' while hauling, servicing, driving, displaying or representing their MV and your MV World, it could only make things easier.

Add the things that are important to you, in 'your opinion', of the conduct that represents your MV World. If it works, some of the greatest minds in the Steel Soldiers Owners Society (SSOS) can make an impression on the generations of collectors that will follow you.

I would have benefited by spending more time researching the 'challenges' that MVer's face.

As an addict, guiding the spontaneous reactions of having money in your pocket and heavy, dangerous, affordable/ expensive, difficult to maintain equipment at your finger tips has all new-comers asking for trouble. The hobby could suffer....or succeed by the actions of one. This "Reality" is being learned by someone 'new', everyday.

Had I known that one hour of operating my vehicle "truly" means 4 hours of preventative maintenance and operating remedies, I may have purchased a jeep....which would be safer for everyone.

As most have recognized this is about the 'longevity of the hobby' and the 'safety of the public'. As an MV virgin reading through this site, it was clear that the discipline 'culture' was already part of the hobby but the learning curve was tall. This is a peer review hobby and most of us simply want to demonstrate that we're 'responsible' enough and make it clear to future MVer's. """""Your 'behaviour' dictates the future of the hobbies existence so here are some guidelines (code of conduct) that have made it successful so far."""""

........ I allow 56 years of "additional" stopping distance in my 56 year old 12,000 lb truck............

My first visit to a "Legion" was in a muscle shirt, shorts and wearing a hat. As an MV virgin I had nowhere to learn the procedures.....until I was living them. Poor Stan L had to dress me to take me out. If I had some MV dress protocol prior to visiting a legion, life would have been easier.

Compartmentalizing the "MV ownership adventure" ( MVOA) scenarios into some manageable categories, starting where an MVer' usually starts, can have some advantages.

If this works, pick a category and either link a thread that discusses 'conduct' or lay out some 'conduct' protocol that has been successful for you. Feel free to propose some 'categories' that are important to you.

I'm coming at this with the MV experience level of a 2 yr old and can't help but wonder what a 20 yr old thinks,

An example of the concept:

Thinking of an MV purchase?
1) I shall understand my mechanical and financial capabilities and capacities prior to an MV purchase.
a) I shall understand the 'demands' my MV has and will ensure I am capable of meeting those demands prior to operating on public roads, or even thinking of buying something this big.
b) I shall understand the 'restrictions' in my community and work with Government to soften those restriction, will abide by them or re-locate to where my hobby suits my community.
c) I shall understand the Insurance and Registration needs to operate my MV on public roads. If required, I will contact and employ 'reputable' inspectors /mechanics prior to my MV purchase or selection.
d)..................
e)..................
Bringing my MV home

Getting my MV ready for public roads........the true definition of this forum, safety in the shop, around your MV.....specific "critical" Safe work Practises and Job Procedures. 'Code of Conduct' while repairing or maintaining

....I shall chock wheels
.... fire extinguisher proximity

MV Public Road Operation..MVPRO..(Trademark TM)...this should be the big one because it has the largest "risk" potential
1) Hazard assessments, fire suppression . . . . . . .
2) Situational awareness, judging speeds/ stopping distance
3).....
4)

MV Parade Conduct..... I had no idea we could throw candy or other harmless items at children
a) I will familiarize myself with this event's 'specific parade requirements'.

MV Static Display, conduct with the public

a) What to wear http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/58513-wearing-military-clothes.html.
b) Legion Dress code...... No hat, sleeved shirt.

MV Convoy Conduct..... this item has been covered in depth but should be reviewed before convoying with your buddies. Search "military vehicle convoy safety" or "Convoy Safety"
or link to the Military Vehicle Preservation Association for Convoy PDF's.

Please understand, most of us newbies are learning ......and simply want to represent the hobby at the highest level of professionalism possible. Not looking for debate, rather a direction so I can be better at this MV thing tomorrow, then I was today.

Give up those guidelines.......

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Convoy Safety / Pre Trip inspection

While digging through some "Convoy Safety" research I found some sites that I felt were worth sharing.
With current Posted highway speeds as high as 80mph I think it's worth reviewing what's been done in the past and adapting some new guidelines.

CONVOY JOY

Archive pictures of a 1982 'convoy' from northern recon group. Great pic of a 'pre-trip' safety meeting and some ancient photos of a private convoy long ago.
Group-History

CONVOY SAFETY

Military Convoy Safety Briefing
Convoy Safety Briefing

Convoy Procedures at the Army Study Guide
Safety (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

Here's a tiny url link http://tinyurl.com/c27aq2v from eur.army.mil Convoy Safety pamphlet including Pre-operational checks.

A Snippet (not sure what year this came out)

"""""In the past 2 years, 84 Army Motor Vehicle (AMV) were reported to the U.S. Army Safety Center"""""""

This "Convoy Safety Article" http://www.minnesotanationalguard.org/assets/specialfeatures/ConvoySafetyArticle.pdf is a 3 page outline of safety while hauling tanks and what I believe is a great cover-photo of the........
Oshkosh M1070 HET

Oshkosh M1070 HET Heavy Equipment Transporter | Military-Today.com

Very cool link to the 7th Army info for "Convoy Safety" Convoy Safety

PRE-TRIP INSPECTION a Canadian spin

This is a civilian version of a "Driver Training Presentation" from Nabors. It is very thorough with photographs that introduce some dangers to 'on road' operations. Detailed Pre-trip inspection information, Transportation Compliance in Alberta Legislation and the "Canadian Brake Test Guide". http://www.caodc.ca/mediaroom/Archive-Press_Presentations-pdf/Driver Training Presentation.pdf

Passing Stationary Emergency Vehicles on the Highway

This is a link to information in a few of the different provinces in Canada from our Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Passing Stationary Emergency Vehicles on the Highway - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Wearing a Uniform and other "new" info from the MVPA http://www.mvpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Policies.pdf

A Snippet...

""""""Uniforms: United States Statutes and Department of Defense Regulations prohibit anyone, except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or
Marine Corps, from wearing the uniform, or the distinctive part of the uniform of the U.S. military forces, except as otherwise provided by law. Only
lawfully authorized persons may wear current U.S. military uniforms at MVPA events.""""""""

quickfarms

One important thing to remember when reading military convoy procedures is that they are partial owners of the interstate highway system because a large portion of the federal transportation budget is paid for by the DOD.

We must obey the civilian laws including the minimum speed limit which varies by state but is federally mandated.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has been alot of good material here and its obvious that the hobby is under serious scrutiny, there are states even now attempting to withdraw the ability to use our vehicles on the roads. And lets face it, even repainted civilian colors they are still "military trucks" and the public is very suspicious of us. They do watch, my civilian vehicle has a Fraternal Order of Police medallion on it, and I do hear about it when my "better half" operates it in less than stellar fashion, so its not a conspiracy, they are paying attention to us and driving them in a way not to bring undue concern and attention to ourselves is important to the continued enjoyment of the hobby by not only ourselves, but the next couple generations of those who follow with our vehicles after we're gone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks