• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire for M105A2 recorvery

azjimbob

Hi everyone;

Been lurking for here for awhile. And won a GL auction for a M105A2.
Waiting for the EUC to go through.

In the mean time planning for the recovery trip. Phoenix to Tucson about
120 mile trip one way.

Have a basic tool kit to take with in addition to some items mentioned on the forum.

High jack from the cj7
1 1/2" wrench
wd40 (big can)
extra chains
big breaker bar
magnetic tow light set
floor jack

I'm thinking of getting a spare tire (just in case) and wondering if anyone has
an idea of where I can find one in the Phoenix area?

The tow vehicle will be a Dodge 3500 dually so power should be okay.

I's appreciate any advice you good folks could offer. (little nervous here about the recovery but I like a little adventure) but not too much!

bebobalhan

Another option is to rent an equipment trailer to haul the 105 back to Tucson. It cost me $73 with tax, damage waiver, and insurance to rent a heavy duty trailer for 24 hours. Call the GL site and ask if they will forklift the 105 onto your tailer. Inspite of the "No assistance provided" disclaimer the Holloman AFB rep had the 105 loaded and centered in a snap. I was prepared to use a 12 volt wench to pull it up on to the trailer and even had a air compressor along to pump up the tires but did not need any of that. If you go the trailer rental route, do not forget to bring some chocks. I used boards and spikes to nail into the rentals deck (I paid for a damage waiver so no issues with the rental company). I had considered towing the 105 home but after seeing the condition of the tires I am glad I did not. They held air but had chunks missing off the sidewall and tread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks