• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Tow Bar Mount?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using my 818 for flat tow recoveries recently and hauling the tow bar is way to exciting an experience! Has anyone built a carry for a towbar for a 818, there is room behind the cab. I just need a mount of some kind?

Attachments

Last edited:

oilcan

I always lay the complete towbar across the deck, then wrap a ratchet strap around the bar and the framing that holds the tool box on one end, and spare tire on the other. Oh, and I usually make a pass through the "handles" on the side of the frame, too.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using my 818 for flat tow recoveries recently and hauling the tow bar is way to exciting an experience! Has anyone built a carry for a towbar for a 818, there is room behind the cab. I just need a mount of some kind?

Steel soldiers has a member who makes tow bar mounts that he sells in pairs

I just purchased a pair and they can mount anywhere that you can find the space.

I have seen them mounted on the front bumoer, Under the troop seat area, against the front part of the cargo area nearest the cab, and so on. They are high quality for the military vehicle tow bar .

Will try to get a picture and contact for you.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Torisco, Indy4X4fab how do you keep it from inching right or left in the mount? It looks like the handles will stop it after a short distance or does it move at all, I have one of those and it one heavy boy too move, I have an extra pair of feet and they heavy alone.
James

indy4x4fab

Banned
Steel soldiers has a member who makes tow bar mounts that he sells in pairs

I just purchased a pair and they can mount anywhere that you can find the space.

I have seen them mounted on the front bumoer, Under the troop seat area, against the front part of the cargo area nearest the cab, and so on. They are high quality for the military vehicle tow bar .

Will try to get a picture and contact for you.
I would like to know as well. I have a heavy duty bar that I would love to have a set for it as well. my tubs are the same size around as the medium duty bar.

Thanks Torisco, Indy4X4fab how do you keep it from inching right or left in the mount? It looks like the handles will stop it after a short distance or does it move at all, I have one of those and it one heavy boy too move, I have an extra pair of feet and they heavy alone.
James
The mount actaully clamps down on to the bar locking it in place via clamping force applied by tht bolts that hold the jaws shut.

How heavy is the large towbar? Is it reasonable or impossible to use if you're by yourself?
I put the feet on the truck first then take the bar apart and put the legs on to the feet one at a time. Then rejoin the legs and us a flat bar to get the neck off the ground far enough to get my hy-lift jack under it and then use the jack to bring it up to hitching height.

Did it twice last weekend and it worked great but having a second pair of hands around helps to speed this up.

Bar weighs 350lb out with feet on it. Its lighter then a 16r20 xzl Michelin on an FMTV rim with run flat - 525lb.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How heavy is the large towbar? Is it reasonable or impossible to use if you're by yourself?
NOT impossible, but also NOT reasonable to do it on your own, the weight is about #350, this is the reason that the -10 for the Tow Bar from HE!!, in its BII listing has a wrecker as one of the ACCESSORIES for the TB

Attachments

ARYankee

Yeah it would be nice to have a mount but for the love of God, managing one by yourself is crazy. I know I just had my first experience with one and OMG. Now I know why the military wants you to be fit and do so much PT.

BEASTMASTER

i just throw mine across the front bumper in front of the winch and tie it down with two bungie cords. oh and a piece of chain and lock so it does'nt fall off.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just throw mine across the front bumper in front of the winch and tie it down with two bungie cords. oh and a piece of chain and lock so it does'nt fall off.

I would LOVE to see a pic of that. And to know where you get your "bungee" cords.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks