• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dolly Convertor Saga Continues completed haul

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tried to post these in a follow on update and could only get one photo in the post so here are the rest up to the present. We will be cleaning up the rust on the fifth wheel frame and adding some I beam support to the chassis along with some additional angle steel that will hold the fifth wheel to the chassis.

I hope to have some good weather and get this done before the New Year

Attachments

ida34

RE: Dolly Convertor Saga Continues

The chassis looks like it is in good shape. Did you paint it or did it come like it is? This is another reason I love having my tractor with a loader. Makes this type stuff go so much faster. Looks like the project is moving along nicely.

ida34

My grandfather has had it for years. It was getting tired so he replaced the pump and it still was tired. When I got it I got a new control valve combination and hooked it under the rear bumper of my F-350 with a metalworking flatbed. I picked up the whole rear of the truck for about 2 seconds until the back tires of the tractor came off the ground. They were filled with calcium and I have a blade on the back. Right now the capacity is only limited by the amount of ballast I have.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

This chassis is how I got it and is the most rust free vehicle I have gotten from DRMO. It has new composite lights and almost brand new tires all for $250 not including the fifth wheel but I plan on cleaning up the bottom of the fifth wheel frame and them welding two 7 inch I beams across the frame rails of the chassis along with 1/4 inch angle steel ( I used 3/4 in by 2 in cold rolled steel in vice of angle steel) along the top of the rails to mount the fifth wheel. I hope to have it done soon and will update the pictures.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Finally got the dolly done except for paint

My Son Noah and I took advantage of a nice day and my day off to finish the convertor and I am currently hoping to win a trailer that I will be hauling with this. It was fun to build and I think the longer trailer will acually be a better convertor than the regular short ones. We will see and I will post pictures of it hauling a trailer when I win one.

I hope you all have a blessed New Year

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Finally got the dolly done except for paint

Thanks for the complement, I am going to tee the line on the dolly and also make up a double gladhand line to go from the duece to the semi and bypass the dolly brakes since I do not want them braking harder and jacknifing the rig. I will most likely experiment with the braking and see if I can add a valve that will limit the air to the dolly and see if that works out. I hope that my first tow is just the empty M127 and there are not too many hills and I know I will not be breaking any speed limits.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Pretty clever flip job on the 5th wheel....... [thumbzup]

The over-thinking paranoia in me says I might build some kind of a "skid plate" and put it on in front of the 5th wheel in order to protect that air tank in case of accident....... Hinged, of course, for easy access (for maintenance purposes).

Also looks like there is enough room ahead of the air tank for a small toolbox-you could weld a floor in (on the bottom of the frame), then put a hinged, lockable plate on top, and have a lockable, dry storage place for extra chains, straps, towing lights, etc.

Nice work :beer:

No.2Diesel

Hiiiiiyooo!

Nice dolly and nice welding. I'm curious as to the capacities of such a dolly. What is the maximum vertical load on the dolly axle? It will allow you to expand your ability to tow just about anything "reasonable." Very cool. Does it add much more work for the air compressor despite adding another air tank?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I wanted a 5 ton tractor like I had in the Army when I was a brand new lieutenant but the 8500 guy way out bid me on all of them. This is a suragate since I am also looking at a current M 127 that I hope to win today and pick up in January. The chassis is rated at a cross country capacity of 2.5 tons so I am quite sure that it will handle a load of 7 tons without too much stress. I hope that the sliding 5th wheel will allow me to make changes in what it hauls. I like the idea of a longer dolly since I will be hauling it with the duece. Commercial ones are short to keep the overall length within legal limits but a longer one should work better. If I win the trailer I will document bringing home on this one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
On my foray to Shorty's I found an interesting item.
It looked like a set of detachable duel axles for a van trailer. I have never seen anything like them.
There was no evidence of cutting so I assume that the van was lifted off of the axles with a wrecker so it could set at a lower level, maybe with like vans, to set up a com center or field HQ.
It had no tow ring or drawbar. It was not a set of sliding tandems like commercial trailers have.
It did have electrical hook ups, an air reservoir tank, air lines and lights on the rear. My digital was out of memory and I didn't get a pic.
Anybody seen anything like this? :?:
Maybe this could be made into a dolly if anyone is interested.

jeli

Looks good. I'd out expanded metal in front of the 5th wheel so you can walk on it but let stuff fall through. It looks like an M200A1. If so a bunch just came up at Ripley. They all look to be in really good shape.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wreckerman:
I may have been an M 354 two axle dolly convertor. If it was sand colored it was one we had in the First Cav in Desert Storm.

Jeli:
Thanks for the comment, The M200A1 is a good chassis as you said and if you get one as cheap as I did ( $250) you might be temped to make a custom trailer or dolly as I did. This all came about as a result of not being able to afford an M 818 since GL #8500 beat me to all of them

jkelly66

RE: This is what the dolly will be towing Hoo Ahh

nice looking trailer got a good look at the locking meckanism on your 5th wheel that is a manual not like the ones we had but it is a wonder that any is still around thought they all where scraped by now. Dolly looks good cant wait to see pics when you go to get the trailer.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How high is the fithwheel from the ground? The M127 is 49 inches to sit level. When will you go get it? Congrats on the trailor. Mabye that 8500 guy is on SS and figured he would let one slide after reading all the remarks.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I spent $250 for the M 200A1 and $200 for the fifth wheel, the two sons in the photos cost more than I can say and the steel was the tail end of a 27 foot trailer I built in Texas to move north at my wifes bidding. All in all it will be about $600 for the whole deal since I scavanged two double gladhand airlines from my shelter dollys I bougth for the tires and wheels. I am currently trying to get GL to commit to an early next week pick up since I took leave to work on our church which is doing remodeling and I took the evening shift to allow me to pick the trailer up. I will post pictures of that excellent adventure here when I get it home

rdixiemiller

Nect time you weld CARC painted metal, take a flap wheel and clean the paint off for 3" all around the weld. Wear a respirator when you do it. The smoke from welding CARC is pretty toxic. You and I are old enough not to worry too much about it, but your son might want to have kids someday!
Seriously, burning urethane paint releases some highly toxic stuff. A good lungfull and you will cough your head off for a day or 2. 5 minutes heavy exposure (like a small shop fire) will put you in the hospital. If you have a pre-existing lung condition, it can be lethal.
Nice looking job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks