• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian tires on original M416 rims... need help.

2ndchance

I've spent some time googling this and the answers are a bit inconsistent or just down-right wrong. Can someone help me solidify a solution?

I have 3 tires/rims for my M416A1 trailer. Two are Cooper Cross Countrys and one is a Firestone. All three are dry rotted and have large cracks in the sidewalls and the treads. They still hold air, so I can safely assume that the tubes are in good condition.

My trailer will eventually converted to an expedition trailer so I want to use a civilian tire. Specifically, the Falken Rocky Mountian ATS, as this is what's on my 2009 Jeep.

I got back from Discount Tire yesterday, abit deflated (excuse the pun). My attempt was to reuse the M416 rims and install civilian tires. I "thought" I had two options.

1. Use a civilian LT225/75-R16 (first choice), LT 215/85-R16, or 235/70-R16 on the factory M416 rim without a tube.
2. Use the same civilian tires and reuse the original tube that I have and reinstall onto the factory M416 rims.

The guy at Discount Tire said, "No". His reasons were:

A. The rivets on the rim can leak when not using a tube.
B. Using a tube on a civilian tubeless tire causes a lot of friction and heat, causing the tube to fail.

So, how are you guys using civilian tires on original M416 Rims?

I was told that the rims on old dodge and ford trucks have the proper 5x5.5 bolt pattern and has the proper center hole to clear the hubs. Any truth to that? If so, What years or model Dodges/Fords??

My brain hurts trying to figure this one out... any help out there?

emr

Put the tires on and go. no tubes. He thinks to much i think... Using a tube over the road with alot of high way use may or may not do this, doubt it, tire guys today only know whats in front of them most of the time, and he wants no call backs, I have put tubes in tub-less radials in past years because they were dry rotted and they lasted till the tread wore out,ALSO U have this option and might be the best... Use a radial tube in a radial tire and u will be fine, period.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have 2 civy tires on civy rims that i plan on taking off the 416 and ill be using the correct rim . i have 2 sets. i can take some measurements and let you know the size. i was also told a old style ford truck would fit

quickfarms

Go to a real tire shop not the discount tire shops

Ford and jeep rims have the same bolt pattern but have a different back space.

What vehicle are you going to tow the expedition trailer with?

I would modify it so that the tires and rims match the tow vehicle so you do not need to carry a second spare.

mutt_kahuna

civi tires on an M416

The M416 and the M151 share wheel/tires...My M151A2 has stock military rims with 225-75-16 good years..NO tubes..NO leakage...the 215-85-16 is almost identical size wise to the mil 700-16...it's not as common as it is a dually tire...if you want civi radials then try tirerack..les schwaub is pricey IMHO...if you want new original military NDCC tires then you can get those from Lucas tire in Long beach,Ca. or summit racing or wallace wade....hope this helps....ED

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What quickfarms said. When it comes to military tires, I only go to heavy-duty truck tire shops since they are used to working with lock rings and tubes/flaps. They'll be able to help you better than any automotive tire shop.

For instance, I typically go to our local Ted Wiens Firestone store here in Las Vegas, since a couple of them have semi-truck service shops attached and they always take care of my military tire/wheel needs. Except they laugh when I ask if they have seen any used 20-inch truck radial tires; they haven't seen a 20-inch tire in a LOOOONG time! But they can order tubes & flaps for them no problem.

Last edited:

quickfarms

There are three tire shops that I use locally. None are national chains. They are locally owned small business. Two of them do tires in any thing from cars to light trucks and trailers. The third shop does semi and heavy equipment tires. I have found that the prices charged at the national discount chains are the same as these shops. I have also found that these national chains have cooked up some real bs in an effort to try to sell me a new tire instead of fixing my flat.

You need to ask around locally for recommendations on tire shops.

Are there any SS members in Glendale AZ that can recommend a tire shop?

2ndchance

My primary vehicle is a 2.5" budget boost lifted 2009 Jeep JK running factory 17" moab rims with Falken ATS 285/70-R17. I do have 2 extra rims/tires. To use them will require $210 in hub replacement and spacers.

2ndchance

The two I have ARE my spares. :) I purchased 5 sets for another trailer build, prior to finding my M416A1. But, to answer your question. About $1,100 for 4 new tires and used OEM rims.

2ndchance

Ok, I came up with my solution. I'm keeping the original hubs, adding an adapter that will convert the bolt pattern AND space out the hub 1.5", so I can use my 17" Jeep JK Moab rims and original Goodyear Wrangler tires.

In doing so, I won't need the 2nd spare and reduce my weight and save me some gas. :)

Many years down the line, when it's time to replace the tires, I will get the same Falken ATS tires that are on my Jeep.

I'm good to go. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks