• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing m422 king pin question

honore j

Fallen I have never taken mine off. But soon will have to get to doing it.. I looked at mine there is a drive pin that goes threw the king pin. It goes from front to back. It look's like you have to drive it out first, before the king pin will back out. I can see it on one side of mine. But the other side it has been taken out. The drive pin that is. Let me know what you see an do? Jason

fallen

Isaw the pin but do not know if it is tapered or if there is a trick to removing it. I beat the you know what out of mines and it has not budged thanks for the help

mspeters

Good luck. I've done 4, all with the arms off of the frame. Was able to get two out with 2.5 lb sledge. Air hammer was useless. The other two needed to be partly drilled thru first. Run a tap deeply to clean the treads in the lower swivel pin. Then a strong G8 bolt and slap hammer can pull it out. I used an axle puller sized snap-on setup. Heat might have helped.

Let us know if you find a source for NOS bushings. I had some bronze ones made but they are softer than the stockers.

RodUSMC1962

For the bushings try Off Road Floater 800-865-9732 or Ron Alred 423-580-0472.They probably have more mite parts than any one else. Darl Bensinger 610-286-9545 is another good source.I have personaly spoken to and ordered parts from all of these people. All good folks.:beer:

fallen

Thanks for the info. I was finaly able to figure out that I could get the axle out with out removing the hub. I was able to get the axle apart with a large hammer. I would like to replace the innner and outer wheel bearings and the seal but I may have to use the old ones for now. Napa gave me a price of $50. just for one inner wheel bearing. I have new CV joints and boots. Hopefully it will work out. Thanks for the help.
I did get one of the pins out but i had to drill it half way out, heat it up with yellow gas and take out some frustration with the hammer. The joints sounded like they were going to explode when i drove it but when I took the first one apart it was now nearly as worn out as i thought it would be. Hope this does the trick. thanks for the help.

honore j

Fallen, Can you give me the number's on the inner an outer wheel bearing's? There is a place in Louisians that I get bearing's from. I will call an get a price for you, if they can match it. I did not get to that point on mine yet, but soon will. I will have to fine the number for the place. But I can call an let you know. Jason

saddamsnightmare

November 15th, 2012.

Congratulations on the lower king pin! They get body bound with rust, and back when I had to do my M422A1 in the late 1970's, the only way to get it out was to hacksaw it off and the heat and drive the remains out.:-x At that time there were no new kingpins to be had on the civillian market, so I had to machine out two new kingpins (one for each side) and a new lengthened hub center bolt (no new ones of these either) to get the cotter pin holes out far enough to get a second lock nut on the bolt. Why a second lock nut, you ask?:-( Because the original hub bolts fracture through the cotter pin holes, then the nut backs off and so does your hub and wheels!
If Mr. Miller still has my M422A1 2043, he should have a spare kingpin and possible an extra hub bolt that I had with it when I sold it to him, plus he may have the original machinist drawings done by my dad stuck in one of his TM's. Should he wish to sell 2043, he might want to let me know as I may have a buyer for him.;)

The wheel bearings are common Timkens, locate them at Bearings Incorporated, along with the Chicago Rawhide hub seals....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks