• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We need a unified voice

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading all the recent threads of states cracking down on MV title and registration, we all need to band together somehow to fight these laws. I have nothing against the MVPA personally but they seem mostly only concerned about parades and such.

I don't know what the answer is but us SS members need to get together somehow to speak as one voice against these laws. I'm not sure if that's something the site can help us with or not.

States are already cracking down pretty hard it seems. All it's going to take is one goofball driving a truck off a GL lot or something to kill somebody and we are all going to suffer the consequences.

Flyingvan911

I have suggested we need a Military Vehicle OWNERS Association. It would avocate for driving, ownership, insurance, laws, etc. I just have no idea how to start something like that. Anyone who does, feel free to use the name or any form of it if you want . It's just an idea, I don't claim to own it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said in my original post, it seems all the MVPA is concerned with is parades and such. They are good at what they do but they could care less about the average SS member driving his CUCV as a daily driver or using their deuce to haul something.. Just look at what they did in WI. Don't get me wrong, they helped but they stopped short and called it a day.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have suggested we need a Military Vehicle OWNERS Association. It would avocate for driving, ownership, insurance, laws, etc. I just have no idea how to start something like that. Anyone who does, feel free to use the name or any form of it if you want . It's just an idea, I don't claim to own it.
I guess that's what I was getting at with starting this thread. Like you, I don't know how to go about starting it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lawyers are needed first...they don't work for free though. Any Layers out there in MV land?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
After reading all the recent threads of states cracking down on MV title and registration, we all need to band together somehow to fight these laws. I have nothing against the MVPA personally but they seem mostly only concerned about parades and such.
I don't know what the answer is but us SS members need to get together somehow to speak as one voice against these laws. I'm not sure if that's something the site can help us with or not.
States are already cracking down pretty hard it seems. All it's going to take is one goofball driving a truck off a GL lot or something to kill somebody and we are all going to suffer the consequences.

Here's my usual worthless dribble on the subject.

Nationally, laws are so diverse it would be hard...if not impossible for MVPA or SS to do much more than they are doing in each state.

By promoting the MV hobby in each state MVPA is active in they sorta set a standard and represent the hobby in a good way...the same with SS.

I think each state will have to fight their own battles ( with support from others if feasible) as was done in WI recently. They didn't win the war...but they won a battle and lived to fight another one.

I agree with the statement about driving an MV off a GL lot and killing someone...that would be tragic for those immediately involved and I'm sure would escalate quickly.

I think this is where SS can help out alot...it's called self-policing in my world.

We all read threads about "newbs" asking "what should I bring to recover X vehicle/equipment" and some of us are quick to YELL>>>RTFM etc because it has all been asked before...and yes...it gets old...quick.
We all read threads about folks doing things we know are wrong and play along because "it worked this time."

I have a basic rule...If i ain't sure it's right...it's probably wrong.

MVPA, SS, State Patrol, Homeland Security...cannot make us do the right thing until we are caught.

Self policing can keep us from getting caught and keep the hobby alive and well...and accepted.

Just an old grouchy man's opinion.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, You may be right. I just look at some of the other organizations (like the NRA) that fight on the national level and the state level. Gun ownership is much bigger than the MV ownership though. There may not be enough MV people to support it on a all 50 state level.

It just seems if my state (TN) want's to ban MVs on the roadway, one official position (with a membership to back it up) is better than 100 different people calling their reps with different ideas.

The MVPA is just what it says. They are preserving MVs for people to look at. There is nothing wrong with that but I feel the majority of the SS membership is into more than just static displays and parades. Maybe the answer is that all off us B!tching should become more active in the MVPA and try and expand their views.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed...

I'd like to add that some states (and I believe that Texas is one of them) have excellent laws in place that favor the ownership and operation of Former Military Vehicles (FMVs) for both exhibition and daily use, although they are two separate and distictive categories of operation.

Much time was invested in this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html

I also believe that within the SS, if Member residents of each of the 50 States, each US Territory, and those of other nations were to step up and produce similar threads for their respective jurisdictions, we could have the beginnings of a solid resource for the Membership At Large. For some states, this would be a simple process. For others it might be more - maybe MUCH MORE - difficult to produce. For obvious reasons, I have limited my investment to only the Texas Laws. I encourage others to step up to the plate and swing their own bats at the ball as it is played in their ballfield.

John

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also believe that within the SS, if Member residents of each of the 50 States, each US Territory, and those of other nations were to step up and produce similar threads for their respective jurisdictions, we could have the beginnings of a solid resource for the Membership At Large. For some states, this would be a simple process. For others it might be more - maybe MUCH MORE - difficult to produce. For obvious reasons, I have limited my investment to only the Texas Laws. I encourage others to step up to the plate and swing their own bats at the ball as it is played in their ballfield.

John
I've tagged and titled several MVs in TN. I think I'll research the laws a little more and start a TN law thread.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Several issues:

I think the MVPA might want to deal with issues like this, but are simply unable. I know when all the Demil B & Q stuff got pulled a couple years ago, I spoke with several Officers in the MVPA and they told me they had a lobbyist and an attorney. They probably don't have these just to keep doing parades.

I think the issue with them is that they are too busy running around like chickens with their heads cut off because the hobby is changing and they don't know what to do. This is common in all kinds of car clubs right now. Traditionally, people joined clubs to meet other people with the same hobbies, be they old cars or gardening. They paid a membership fee, got a newsletter, some discounts and the club had a little budget it could use for whatever. But with the advent of internet forums, traditional clubs are losing membership and fast. This isn't just HMV clubs, but all kinds of car clubs. What's the point in paying $25-50 a year to get a newsletter once a month with some free classifieds when a giant forum like SS is available 24/7?

I don't think the MVPA has figured out how to deal with this. Because as their membership declines, they have to deal with smaller and smaller budgets to make things happen.

On to the bigger issue:

1. For a unified voice, that means everyone has to more or less agree what they are, what they want and what they can reasonably expect to obtain. This means compromise and most people just aren't willing to. Anything less than 100% pure version of their goal is worthless.

2. Infrastructure - there would have to be a group, run by people with time on their hands, who could manage lobbying/legislative issues in multiple states at all times. That's tough-most of us have jobs.

3. Revenue - the sheer fact of the matter is that at both the local, state and federal level, money talks. If we as a hobby can not find a way to come up with sufficient funds to put up effective lobbyists who can counter the message that opposition groups are putting out, we're dead in the water. Not only lobbyists but PR campaigns, public engagement, etc.

4. I know this is going to be unpopular, but this hobby needs to clean up it's image. We need to present the image of collectors of American history, protectors of historical items of note. Not tin foil hat wearing kooks waiting for the world to collapse. I am sorry if that rubs some of you the wrong way, but it's the truth.

Ultimately, how could a unified voice be created and managed, realizing those truths?

You have 2 choices: Force, cajole or persuade the MVPA to get it's act together. The MVPA needs younger Officers who understand the paradigm shift to the hobby due to the internet. Find a way to make the MVPA's membership fees worth it to young people who are currently getting their hobby interaction for free through SS, G503, etc. Grow the MVPA. Get to 20K or 30K members. Use that increase in revenue to pursue the goals we talked about (attorneys, lobbyists, PR campaigns, etc.). Convince the MVPA to join forces with other groups like the ATHS, SEMA, etc. The hobby is too small on it's own to make a dent in politics, we need help.

If that won't work, you have a much harder task.

You (or someone) will have to create a group, find a way to get 10-30K members, raise money and do everything I just said on their own.

ARYankee

I agree and have been contemplating this same action. About a month or so ago I sent an email to the MVPA asking if there could be some sort of committee put together to handle this. I suggested that it be comprised of folks from each state that would act as liaisons for their state. I am currently a national MVPA member but not a local because I feel the local chapter is worthless. I have taken upon myself to start an MV club and we have teamed up with a local legislator to address issues we have and want to iron out.

I'm all aboard on this and will help or assist in any way possible.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The timing of this thread is perfect. I was actually on the phone yesterday for about 30 minutes with a high ranking MVPA board member discussing ways that SS and the MVPA could work together to better support and protect the hobby. We did a lot of brainstorming and came up with some really good ideas. We are hoping to have a conference call this week or next with some more board members to discuss the feasibility of our ideas. Stay tuned!

123mack

I agree with Cintos' points. The MVPA already has an established infrastructure, so use that as a starting point. The MVPA convention is going to be in Huntsville, AL at the end of June. There is a general membership meeting scheduled for 1000-1100 on 30 June at the convention. I would suggest some of us getting together at the convention and putting forth some points of discussion at the meeting. I've never been to one of these general meetings, so I really don't know how they are formatted or conducted. Everything has to start somewhere, so this would be as good a time and place as any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks