• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric shut-off for Cummins 250

texas-5-ton

Anybody know where the best place to buy an electric shut-off for a cummins 250? I was told that mine is "stuck" and should probably be replaced. We are having to use the manual engine stop cable and this is turning out to be a pain because it has to be manually reset under the hood each time. How much are these shut-offs??

Chad

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
any cummins dealer will have the fuel selenoid, just make sure you get a 24v one as thay come in both 12 & 24

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Electric shut-off for Cummins 250

too late to delete, sorry!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You can't. Chad, let me look, I might have a24V one at work. Make sure you have battrey voltage at the wire, and make sure the jamb nut behind the wire is tight. There is supposed to be a little plastic collar between the jamb nut and solinoid. If that's not there, it is a direct short to ground and will pop the CB or fuse for that circuit. If I remember correctly, the resistance thru the coil is around 12-18 ohms at 70 degrees. If there's no voltage at the coil,(ign. on), pull the wire off and check the voltage at the wire. If none, most likely not the FSOV. Find out where the power comes from. Sorry, I rambled!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Another thing to look at is the manual "run" thumbscrew on the bottom of the solenoid. It is used to make things go if there is no electricty in an emergency. Try turning it in and see if things improve.

If it is set to run, you can't shut it down electrically.

dg

Jakelc15

Adding this to a very old thread. Cummins service bulletin for coil resistance.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs2/...service +doctype:26 +language: ( language:en)

Technical Service Bulletin Number Revision Level Date Group Number
TSB101553
QuickServe Online

Cummins Inc.
Technical Service Bulletin

Subject

Fuel Shutoff Valve Solenoid Resistance Specification
Original Topic Number: 05t5-3.

Warranty Statement

The information in this document has no effect on present warranty coverage or repair practices, nor does it authorize TRP or Campaign actions.
Contents

The purpose of this Service/Parts Topic is to notify the field of a change in electrical resistance specifications for the fuel shutoff valve solenoid. The new resistance specifications are more accurate than the old specifications. The new specifications are listed in the table below.

Revised Fuel System Shutoff Valve Solenoid Specifications
Voltage Resistance Minimum (Ohms) Resistance Maximum (Ohms)
6 VDC 1 5
12 VDC 6 15
24 VDC 24 50
32 VDC 42 80
36 VDC 46 87
48 VDC 92 145
74 VDC 315 375
115 VAC 645 735
In all cases the solenoid terminals must be thoroughly cleaned before the measurement is taken. In the case of the single pole solenoids, it is recommended to scrape paint off another portion of the solenoid cast iron housing. Good contact pressure with the multimeter terminals is recommended as well as a stable measurement on the display before the reading is compared against the specifications.

Procedure 005-043 (Fuel Shutoff Valve) is being updated to reflect the new specifications.

Related Procedures

09-005-043 Fuel Shutoff Valve
Last Modified: 14-Dec-2004
Feedback / Help
Copyright © 2000-2010 Cummins Inc. All rights reserved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks