• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M-52A2

ChuckM

Purchased a M-52A2 last week and bobbed it. Put 65" rice/canes on the rear and regular R-1's on the front. Plan to get some 1600's so I can street it. Also plan to put a shortened cargo bed on her.

Attachments

bearboley

I would have loved to had that m52 my old man drove one while in the service and you just cant find them around much. It looks good don't get me wrong but it also makes me a bit sad to see it cut.

ChuckM

Bear I'm sorry that saddens you but I only have trimmed the fenders. Everything else is stock and original. People scrap and parts these trucks out so I don't think I've done wrong by keeping her going.

ChuckM

lol...if it makes you feel better it had sat in the bushes for the last 3 years....and for the 7 years prior to that it was used as a logging spot truck. Plan to put fresh paint and bed on her within the next month

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With the small tires on the rear and big on the front, the sprag will think the rears are spinning and engage the front axle all the time, on a hard or good traction surface, things ARE going to BEARK with this setup.

ChuckM

With the small tires on the rear and big on the front, the sprag will think the rears are spinning and engage the front axle all the time, on a hard or good traction surface, things ARE going to BEARK with this setup.
All are 18.4-34's. It appears that way because the rears are R-2's. They have less sidewall rubber and the deep cleats make up the height difference. The rears actually measure out to be 1" taller.....in turn makes me have to spin the rears faster than normally to engage the front.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pic 5 sure looks the front is a lot bigger, just look at the frame at the rear and where the top of the front tirer is

ChuckM

Thats a lot of work for a week. Looks like you have the shop to do it in. That is one nice building you have.:beer:
Thanks. A week is a long time.....I also have managed to break an axle on one outting and get stuck on another (took a 250HP 25,000lb dualed out tractor to recover it).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, if you bob trucks that's great, but I never will. You double the size of the tire, and you still neuter the truck. Might as well jack up a Bronco or pickup instead.

ChuckM

Sorry, if you bob trucks that's great, but I never will. You double the size of the tire, and you still neuter the truck. Might as well jack up a Bronco or pickup instead.
Plan was to put 5 ton gear under a chevy frame/body. Couldn't bring myself to strip and scrap the truck and also it runs like a top.

ChuckM

I didn't research how people are bobbing trucks so it may be common knowledge. But here's what I did. The front drive shafts in these trucks are roughly 12" longer than the driveshaft from the tcase to front rear axle of a tandem setup. I used the length of the front shaft to determine axle placement. No custom shaft needed just bolt in a front. Wheelbase is now 152". Used a front set of springs, shackles, frame mounts, shocks, and shock frame mounts for the rear.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a lot of work in a week. Nice job. Make sme motivated to get stuff done faster. I couldn't bring myself to bob a truck, but it's your truck. Enjoy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks