• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Bed Size

derekrayhall

Does anyone know what pickup truck bed is the same size as the M101A2?

I wold love to have a cross ref so I could hunt down used parts that may fit on the trailer.

derekrayhall

Bed Size

I know the measurements are about 101x73, but what I mean is... Is there a specific model of pickup that you can use as a template on websites drop down lists, etc... like a Chevy Silverado or Dodge 1500 etc

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I wold love to have a cross ref so I could hunt down used parts that may fit on the trailer.
The trailers were built to military specs for military use......they had 24 volt electrical systems and the pintle hitch.

I'm not sure exactly what parts you think might cross over........leaf springs and shocks come to mind but even those may have been made to specs that won't cross over to civy parts.

The chances of finding a M101 trailer in your average scrap yard are slim so that leaves buying parts from your fellow MV addicts or surplus dealers.

Hope this helps.

derekrayhall

Yes! I am looking at options for a cover of some sort... a topper or camper or toneau cover etc... if I could shop around using a specifiec "truck" bed for size thats equal to the M101A2 cargo bed size it would be much easier to find what I am looking for as most internets sites classify things by vehickle type and not actual measurments...make sense?

DieselBob

I don't believe you will find a direct commercial cross to a M101. As stated above they where designed from the ground up to a mil spec at the time and was not based off of a commercial design. I attached the spec for a M101 from TM-43-0001-31.

Attachments

blybrook

My 8' custom topper from my '92 F250 fits exactly on my M101A2. This topper was also on a '89 Chevy 2500. There is NO way to utilize the hold down clamps and the topper needs to be drilled and bolted into place in several locations for it to be secured. I didn't bolt it down or take any photos, it was a temporary installation while I removed the bed liner in the truck and moved the in bed fuel tank.

HTH, but you won't find an easily listed direct correlation, results may vary per trailer model and cap manufacturer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most 8' toppers can be adapted to fit. They don't really share identical dimensions with any pickup bed I know.

Attachments

derekrayhall

Thanks guys! After more research, the closest matches are as follows:
82-96 LWB Ford
73-87 Dodge LWB

Both are about 72x99

You could also make just about any hard cover work by welding a 10-20 inch sheet of steel across the tongue end of the cargo area and fab some hinges to it.

I recently came across a "undercover" brand truck toneau for $50 bucks used.

Snugtop dealers tend to have lots of "garbage" used toppers that are like treasures to us trailer guys.

Hope this info is useful to someone as I have and continue to really enjoy the "search" for cool builds on these great trailers.

Derek

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a big advocate of the steel toppers. They are so utilitarian its amazing and if you shop, they can be had cheaply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks