• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra tools and different BII for wreckers

Csm Davis

I would like to hear about any extra or different tools that anyone keeps on their trucks. I will start, I keep a air impact and set of deep impact sockets and a full 3/4 ratchet and socket set.

Andy1234

Swench, geared lug wrench, slave cables, cigars, matches, gatorade, gps, pen, paper, sunglasses, 14.4V Dewalt Impact gun w/ tools, bolt cutters, tow bar...

It depends on what I'm using the truck for (and which truck it is, M915, M818, M920, etc..) as to what I bring with me.

My M818 has 2 toolboxes (one on top of the other) and my M915 has a M939 battery relocation kit added behind the cab that I use to store extra tools in.

Andy

Andy

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is just a little truck (M-42 / M-37) but in the M101A1 trailer that goes with it I have assembled a number of "kits". I have a recovery kit with extra chains, cables, landing mat planks, anchors and large (6'-7') pry bars, jacks, bow saws, come-alongs and snatch blocks (with 1, 2, & even 3 sheves). I've also got a full set (4) of tire chains and a set of duals for all four wheels. There is a military A frame kit for the winch and a 100 amp 24VDC generator in the trailer with 2 20' military slave cables. There is also a "Tow Bar kit' based on the small military towbar. Of course there are all the normal automotive hand tools, P.O.L. box and pioneer tool kits on the tail gate of both the truck and the trailer plus 6 Jerry cans (1 on the truck and 5 in holders on the trailer).

The truck is full of radios (when I put them in). I'd really like to get a couple of gypsy racks for the tailgates of the truck and trailer, but I haven't seen them anywhere so I might have to make them.

Keeping all this stuff in a dedicated trailer is an easy way to keep track of it and grab it when I need it.:driver:

Csm Davis

Come on wrecker people (I know we have at least one female wrecker owner) chime in here. I also keep a MRE onboard for those long out in the middle of nowhere recoveries.

Goose2448

Let me compile my list.....

Complete socket set 1/4"-1" in standard and metric with reg. and deep well with all kinds of accessories
Complete Wrench set standard and metric
Different Toque Wrenches for different things
Hammers, Framing, Mason, 3 pound Sludge, 12 pound Sludge
2 Safety Vests
Safety Glasses
2 Hard Hats
Earplugs
Gloves
Many Many Rolls of Duct Tape
Different types and sizes of drivers
Different Hand Saws
A small work light
Oil Wrenches
Fuel Pressure Gauge
TM's
Wire Brushes
300' of Water Hose
A few Water Nosels thingys
2 Cases of Red and Tacky #2 Grease
Case of WD-40
3 Grease Guns, Air Powered, Hard Tip, and Flex Hose Hand Powered
Air Tool Oil
Air Impact Wrench
Air Ratchet
Air Chuck
Tire Pressure Gauge
Tie Wire
Shop Towels
Red Shop Rags
Wash and Wax stuff
Micro Fiber detailing thingys
30 Gallon IR Gas Powered Air Compressor, Electric Start
8000 Watt Cont. Gas Powered Gen set, Electric Start
16 Ton Bottle Jack
20 Ton Bottle Jack
2 Ton Jack Stands, not like they could hold anything but its better than nothing
Different Hitches for different trailers
15' Chain for different things
10 Pound Fire Extinguisher
4 Safety Cones
Pressure washer
5 Gals of Diesel and Gas
10 Gals of Hyd. Oil
Chock Blocks
3 Different Types of Maglites
8" Buck knife

I think that is it.

Goose2448

goose did you just pull up to the shop and push everything into the truck

Kinda. Thats my work truck, but 3/4 of that stuff is what I would want on a wrecker or any truck is going out into the world.

Forgot a few things,

Brake Fluid, for brakes and Clutch
15W-40 Oil for truck
Trans Fluid-For Power-steering Pump
GPS
Cell Phone
CB Radio
SI Swimsuit Edition Calendar-to keep track of what day it is

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Kinda. Thats my work truck, but 3/4 of that stuff is what I would want on a wrecker or any truck is going out into the world.

Forgot a few things,

Brake Fluid, for brakes and Clutch
15W-40 Oil for truck
Trans Fluid-For Power-steering Pump
GPS
Cell Phone
CB Radio
SI Swimsuit Edition Calendar-to keep track of what day it is
NOW this is diffidently one of the top teen best tools to have in any truck.:)

Csm Davis

Goose you keep a pressure washer and 300 feet of hose on your wrecker? I like the safety gear it it is not on the BII list and should be. Oh yeah no way you got all that on a military wrecker .

Last edited:

emr

Looks like a professional to me, wash off the areas he needs to handle just incase they are that bad, could be alot of yucky stuff out on a wrecker call i just started to think ... heavy grease, packed dirt/mud,body parts from the zombies. (made it sound not so bad using zombies) I am sure it all has happened somewhere... wash the stuff off road, and if dirt splashes on pretty wrecker, a fast clean to, seems like a win win thing to me. A washer goes a long way once one thinks about it, good post.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In viet nam each wrecker outfit gear was different, 1/2 of the original BII is worthless, each crew outfitted there truck to make it friendly to them, and mission of there truck, put what you think you will need on your truck, this depends on the mission/missions of your wrecker-(long distance recovery, short distance recovery, yard lifting, long distance lifting, stuck recoveries, parades, road break downs, wreck recovery, ect.), The wrecker self maintenance stuff carried again depends on the trucks MISSON and how FAR from the HOME base that mission entails. (no point in loading up the truck with everything but the sink if it NEVER leaves the front of the shop)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
B II list

on the BII list ....... on a military wrecker .
Could someone please point me in the right dirrection of the B II list, I have seen the one for a Ward but I'd like to get the relevant one for an M 816.

Thanks in advance.

Did anyone mention cribbing/blocks/gun planks?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
could someone please point me in the right dirrection of the b ii list, i have seen the one for a ward but i'd like to get the relevant one for an m 816.

never mind - i found it at the back of the operators tm......

Csm Davis

Could someone please point me in the right dirrection of the B II list, I have seen the one for a Ward but I'd like to get the relevant one for an M 816.

Thanks in advance.

Did anyone mention cribbing/blocks/gun planks?
Actually the TM talks about using cribbing in a couple places but doesn't list it on the BII guess it should be sourced locally?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the TM talks about using cribbing in a couple places but doesn't list it on the BII ..........
Ditto for ground anchors and pins. Page 48 of Field Manual 'FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations', where I notice that they have finally changed the Ward la France round pins - nightmare to get out, to hexagonal pins.

So - the FM says 2 sets per wrecker - each set is 3 anchors and 10 pins, but where are they stowed?

... Don't forget shovel, broom and trash sack/bag for road cleanup, also small webbing straps to secure busted or loose pieces from/on recovered vehicle....

x 3 hazard triangles (min) and road flares (or smudge pots in old language).....

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of everything and two of some...........

I make sure that I have enough of all fluids to replace at least 1/2 of the fluid. For a 5 ton, thats 5 gals of 50/50 coolant, 3 gals of oil, 2 gals of gear lube, 1 gallon of DOT 5, 2 quarts of powersteering oil. At least 3 fuel filters, depending on where I am going. A Haspin trip, I take 3. Ga rally, I prolly only carry 1, maybe 2.

My regular toolbox, which has enough tools to change out a motor, tranny or transfer case. Two jacks, a complete set of air tools, a complete set of manual tire changing tools. A complete set of belts, light bulbs(including at least 1 headlight). A peanut butter jar of small items(bolts,nuts, screws, switches, wire ties, nicknaks and paddy waks.

50' to 75' feet of heavy chain, 4 ton come-a-long, chain binders, wood blocking, and just about anything else I think I need.

Gloves, hard hat, safety glasses, earplugs. Thats about it...............:mrgreen:

LanceRobson

Actually the TM talks about using cribbing in a couple places but doesn't list it on the BII guess it should be sourced locally?
Bingo!

As with some earlier posts what we load is directly related to distance, truck type and task. What goes to a parade ten miles from home is different from what goes 180 miles to Rausch Creek for off road driving is different from what goes 320 miles to Aberdeen.

Generally a swench, Robotoolz impact wrench, tow bar and chains, spill kit tool chest, yadda, yadda, yadda for road trips. If traveling in a group we try to be sure there is at least one empty pintle and when something breaks down that may be the most useful tool of all.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks