• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about M103A3 trailer

rampli

This trailer was an "extra" that came with my duece. I've done some research and found that most trailers configured like this were mounted with a generator. The hoist appears to be added later and from amount of rust I have assumed it is old enough to be military modified. The manufacture date on the trailer is 1968. The hoist will come in handy at the salvage yard! :) My questions:
1. What are the brackets located on the front bulkhead for?
2. Are these the same springs and axles as on a M105?
3. Should the landing wheel rotate 360 degrees to aid in unhooked steering in tight quarters?

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: again

The M103A3 is a chassis designation and can be fitted with many bodies such as the genset flatbed and the M105 box with other accessories. The hoist....perhaps you are referrring to a manually operated lift gate? If so that is a carpenters trailer. Springs are the same as the M105 has the same chassis and the landing gear is supposed to rotate 360 degrees.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: pictures again...

Well, at one point it was a genset trailer. The mounts for the ground rids are still on the bulkhead. The other brackets on the outside of the bulkhead I've never seen. The hoist looks like the common bomb hoist that is used in the deuce. Never seen one on a trailer like that before.

BillIdaho

Just a W.A.G., but maybe for propane tanks, or very less probable--ordnance? It looks a little like the trolley set up on the old Burma Fords(GTB). The brackets on the front of the trailer don't ring any bells. I would be very curious as to what exactly those were for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks