• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 A/C installation

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my phone rings at about 0430 this morning. It is Phil (stonepicker1) at my gate with my A/C kits. We get him in and unloaded (GOT to get the wrecker working!)

So I go to work. From the second I'm on the road to work to when I email the boss saying I'm taking the afternoon off, I'm dreaming of cracking open a crate and starting the install. So I left at noon to go get started.

Didn't get far. They were calling for a steady rain all afternoon/evening. I'd get going on it and then the rain would start, then quit. :x

Here are some pics of what I have so far. I'm still debating on where to mount the box, and how to modify it to fit. I've got my compressor mount figured out, going to fab and weld it up tomorrow at work. I should just drive the thing in and work on it there since I'm not allowed to work on anything else, and that gets boring. But I already removed the air cleaner...

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After dreaming about installing it last night (can you say I had it on my mind?) I went out on my way to work and looked at it, fitting it in different places, etc. So much that I was a tad late to work...:whistle:

I've come up with 4 possible solutions. I climbed in the pass side and I've got to tell you, I would HATE to loose that leg room now that it is there. 90% of the time I will be in the truck alone but for those times when I have to ride shotgun for hours... I'd like there to be no obstruction.

Solution 1- So far this is the one I like best, would be the easiest to do. There is actually plenty of room to cut out a section of the firewall 'hump' and invert it, so the blower unit will fit. It won't interfere with the engine at all, maybe during a swap, but I doubt that will happen soon. I'd have the wrecker done by then, I'll just lift the cab off. This would put the unit in the same location as the old one, but directly under the dash. There would still be foot room under the unit, close to all the duct connections, the recirc vent and the fresh air vent would be in the correct locations, and no modifications to the unit at all, or very slightly.

Solution 2 Move the air cleaner out to the fender, a la Soni, er M920. Then insulate and mount the unit on the engine side of the firewall. Would have to cut an opening for the recirc air, and for the discharge air into the cab. Would have to insulate the box as it would be under the hood. Or a combination, of cutting the firewall out and mounting the unit half in and half out. Very similar to how a car is, half in the engine compartment and half under the dash. Would have to come up with an air cleaner I could mount out on the fender.

Solution 3 Put the unit on the driver side fender, just like a deuce heater unit. Would have to insulate it, and fab some kind of recirc air duct work or do away with the recirc function. Also would have to cut a hole in the firewall and run the ductwork under the steering collum. No real modification of the unit, besides insulation, the A/C hoses that came with the kit could be used, but the control unit cables would need to be longer. Would give back all of that room on the pass side.

Solution 4 Gut the unit, and make my own/modify the stock to fit wherever I want. Would be a lot of trouble and take me forever, I just don't have the time to fab something like that up.

What are your opinions?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What about putting air ride seats in it and mounting the unit between the seats? Use ducting to get the heat/air/defrost air where you need it. You may have to have some longer hoses made but that is light work.

That was my plan before I pimped my M915 off.

I still have the unit so I may do the same thing with my new M928 by relocating the batteries outside.

IMHO putting the batteries inside the cab was a decsion made by an idiot after consulting with a moron.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol I agree on the batteries, especially having to hump them in and out of a M923 I picked up for a fella.

I have thought of that WM, but I am putting in the air ride seats, and plan to mount a storage box inbetween. You know there never is enough storage on a tractor...

I may still go that route but I really don't want to.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever you do, make sure I have plenty of leg room on the right. It's no fun riding 15 hours with your knees hitting the dash...........:jumpin:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one support piece cut. I missed the hole by about 3/16. I need to get my drill press set up! anyway, it's dark out now and I need to get ready to go collect oil.

I'll weld it up in the morning and make the hole a bit bigger. Then I will add the back support to the block and weld that in to the bracket as well.

Attachments

herc69

WOW! Almost looks like it was meant to be there!! LOL!! I know it will go well once the 'help' arrives today. You'll be riding in comfort soon. Too bad the same can't be said about the passenger......fat lady sings

zout

Nice workmanship Ferro.
Interested in seeing the remainder of the blower.condensor unit getting placed in.

Remind me to mention something to you tomorrow on the mount bracket.
From experience here R134 runs higher pressure and belts have to be good and snug to keep them from slippage on clutch/compressor kicking in. So off the belts clutch area you will have more pressure and stress wanting to pull downward for movement (hint).

I am not easily impressed but that is a great job :beer: you will surely be satisfied with the output of that system when you are done.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way ahead of you Dave,
I'm putting a back brace that runs to a spot on the block with a mounting plate, to keep it from pulling the compressor down, and dampen any vibrations that will want to rock the compressor back and forth. Getting ready to head outside and start on that part now. :)

zout

You Da Man Ferro - thats it.

I want a bumper sticker now that says:

"Ferro is my Hero - I want to grow up to be just like him"

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO after you finish this, can you come over and install A/C in my 814? Huh? HUH? See ya at 8 Saturday morning.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear bracket is fabbed up and installed. That compressor isn't going anywhere! No vibration other than the normal engine stuff. So one major step, complete!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks