• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gun truck armor panels 36x48"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any close-up detail pics of the armor panels that were used on the early gun trucks? They measured 36x48 inches in size, had a "porthole" in the middle, and a bunch of bolt holes in pairs around the outside edge. How were the porthole and the pairs of bolt holes to be used properly in mounting the panels to the trucks?

Driver523

All holes are 1 inch from top or sides of armor to center of hole----5/8s inch holes----long side--or--up and down the holes run center to center from the 1 inch corner 11" and 13"---23" and 25"---35" and 37" and 47"---then across the top and bottom they run starting with the 1 inch corner next is 11" and 13"---23" and 25" the 35" would be the next corner----I believe center to center corner holes across top and bottom run 34 inches------The gun ports are NOT centered----ports are 5x8----with the gun ports UP measurements are---31" from bottom of panel to bottom of gun port----From one edge of panel to gun port is 12"---from other edge of panel to gun port is 16"---gun port is 5" x 8", They were mounted a number of ways, angel iron around the top edge or maybe 2x10s or 12s---some were bolted through the bedsides---inside and outer armor bolted together with bracing----different ways in different units---some single walled armor others with double walled armor--hope this helps--I'll post some photos a little later-------------------

jasonjc

I got this from the book "the Hard Ride"."The armor, including the vision block had been given specific ordinance part numbers which were listed in supplements to TM 9-2320-211-34P showing drawings and instructions on how to install the individual pieces."

Looks like you need to find TM9-2320-211-34P or the supplements for it.

vtdeucedriver

All holes are 1 inch from top or sides of armor to center of hole----5/8s inch holes----long side--or--up and down the holes run center to center from the 1 inch corner 11" and 13"---23" and 25"---35" and 37" and 47"---then across the top and bottom they run starting with the 1 inch corner next is 11" and 13"---23" and 25" the 35" would be the next corner----I believe center to center corner holes across top and bottom run 34 inches------The gun ports are NOT centered----ports are 5x8----with the gun ports UP measurements are---31" from bottom of panel to bottom of gun port----From one edge of panel to gun port is 12"---from other edge of panel to gun port is 16"---gun port is 5" x 8", They were mounted a number of ways, angel iron around the top edge or maybe 2x10s or 12s---some were bolted through the bedsides---inside and outer armor bolted together with bracing----different ways in different units---some single walled armor others with double walled armor--hope this helps--I'll post some photos a little later-------------------

Driver is spot on for the armor piece for the bed protection. There was one other piece and that was for the cab doors. Its vision hole is the same 5"x8" 4" from one edge 22" from other edge with 7" from the top.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is anyone here on SS good with CAD drawings? Perhaps it might do those of us here who might build a deuce or 5-ton gun truck down the road with a CAD drawing that could be programmed into a CNC machine and cut out by way of plasma torch on a water bed machine.

vtdeucedriver

Is anyone here on SS good with CAD drawings? Perhaps it might do those of us here who might build a deuce or 5-ton gun truck down the road with a CAD drawing that could be programmed into a CNC machine and cut out by way of plasma torch on a water bed machine.

My step son is taking Engineering in HS. Because of his grades, he was able to get in as a sophmore. I had mentioned drawing it up in CAD and he said that he might work it in as a class project.

m816

Jeff, I may be getting the full 3/8 steel. I'm angleing for the double thickness. Just to be true to the original. The new truck got new tires all around so I am feeling cocky

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks