• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a MTV M1094 LVAD

DSD277

Well, for good or bad, I'm the new owner of a M1094 LVAD. Sold as a 'parts vehicle', my intial plans are to bob it to a M1081 4x4 and possibly mock it up as a "War Pig". Another thought is to find a surplus cab and make it up as a camper, until I have it here, nothing is set in stone.

I'm here today to start collecting ideas for builds,and see where I can locate the TMs and who might have parts.

I have a long history with Euro MVs.... Pinzes, Haffies, SBU Mog, Land Rovers and Supacat AMTPs among others... I am intriqued with the Steyr 12M18, so when this came up, I thought I'd give the FMTV a shot.

Attachments

DSD277

That is the standard cab for the LVAD (Low Velocity AirDrop). I just don't know how much of it is there. I should get more pics and something of a drivetrain condition report over the weekend

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a shame to bob something that is pretty rare in civilian's hands as of yet. If you restore it the resale value will be double what it will be if you cut it up. My two cents...

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how easy or hard it is to find cabs for these, but I've seen some in the yard at SECO.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I saw that one on a popular auction site as well. I thought about tossing my bid in for it. But I wouldn't know where to start on those beasts.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with a couple of other posters...don't bob it. That is a RARE truck. I was offered that by Winslow a year or so ago and almost bought it, but could not get the nerve up. I've been involved with a few too many projects where parts are scarce and could not stomach this rebuild. The M1094 was rebuilt recently if I remember correctly (like 2004). I looked it over pretty well when I was at Winslow's place. It should clean up. You will have to fabricate some of the door pieces. The roof section is in the bed. I believe, but can't remember exactly, that the cab protector is in the bed. That would be an awesome truck to restore. Keep it stock!

DSD277

I too also weighed restoring it verses bobbing it, or any other mods before placing my bid. But a 6x6 dump truck with a special cab in need of repairs is pretty much out of the question. Add to it the CDL needed ( I don’t want to go there) and commercial insurance ( I very much doubt I can convince Hagerty to cover it) makes the economics disappear. Bobbing it to a M1081 4x4 and modding it to a War Pig drops everything back into a different class. In reality, the only way I can see maintaining the 3rd axle is to add a shelter and register it as a motorhome (in which I’d want a solid cab)

As for resale value, which was never a consideration, the rarity and availability of the unique cab parts may cost double what the truck could sell for on the market. I need to get the truck in front of me to see what it actually needs.

A War Pig makeup (at this point) seems the most economical buildup. .

Attachments

Last edited:

colt45727

:shock: IIRC you got this cheaper than the one on GL that would have been a perfect war pig. This is a pretty rare truck IMO. I would leave it alone, but It is yours though.

pcruz

6x6 War Pig

Adding my 1 cent worth of input: in the background of the photo attached is a 6x6 War Pig. Considering the current state of your vehicle, this seems to be the most economical route in terms of time and resources. Avoiding a depreciation of bobbing would be another plus.

If you were to go the rebuild route, there is a FMTV cab for sale on the same site your LVAD was listed on.

Attachments

Last edited:

mistaken1

Adding my 1 cent worth of input: in the background of the photo attached is a 6x6 War Pig. Considering the current state of your vehicle, this seems to be the most economical route in terms of time and resources. Avoiding a depreciation of bobbing would be another plus.

If you were to go the rebuild route, there is a FMTV cab for sale on the same site your LVAD was listed on.
That is not a bad idea. If a cab comes along later .......

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen regular cabs come out on GL. You could always wait for one. To me, what makes that truck really cool (besides the rarity and the fact that it is a dump...I LOVE dumps) IS the fact that it is the rare airborne version. When I saw it, I did not see anything that could not be fixed, replaced, or fabricated. To each his/her own. If you decide to mod it, I wish you luck. You'll still have a very rare truck. Good luck!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw this on the auction site as well. I'm guessing it was dropped and then rolled at the last minute. The Cargo chutes may not have disconnected pulling the platform over after impact.

That being said, if you need closeups of any of the LVAD parts, please PM me, I will be able to help you out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks