• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RECOVERY: Spitfires Buried to be DUG UP ! !

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was in the EOD program I met some Air Force guys that had gone to a remote island in the Aleutions to blow up some .50 cal. ammo that had been there since WWII.

They said they had flown in on a C-130 loaded with C-4 and other military grade explosvies.

They spent a week clearing bunkers and blowing up the ammo.

One of the guys said it was like going back in time.....the buildings looked like everyone just got up and left. He said the hangers were full of trucks, staff cars and support vehicles of all flavor.

The base had been a refueling and rearming point for planes since WWII and had a small control tower, a well lighted runway and at one time prob was home to several hundred people.

According to him there was no way to get cargo loaded or unloaded from the sea.....that's why the stuff had not been bothered in all those years....that and the weather sucked most of the time.

The powers that be had decided that the 50 cal ammo was attractive enough to be a threat so the decsion was made to destroy it.

I guess it is possible that all that stuff is still up there. I'm sure by now they have installed some high speed intrusion detectors that can be remotely monitored from somewhere.

The truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Disciple

When I was in the EOD program I met some Air Force guys that had gone to a remote island in the Aleutions

One of the guys said it was like going back in time.....the buildings looked like everyone just got up and left. He said the hangers were full of trucks, staff cars and support vehicles of all flavor.

I guess it is possible that all that stuff is still up there.

What were those coordinates again??? Sounds like my private island/bug-out location I've been looking for!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is way to cool, I hope they are on display some time in the future. That would be something to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks