• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which pyro and sensor to use

seano11

Whats everyone using for a pyro gauge and sensor on there 250s. I was thinking about getting the gf to sit under the hood well I`m driving and get the reading using a temp gun but she doesn`t think this is a good idea lol

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if you did not do any mods like increase the air flow first then added more fuel would one have to worrie about it. Now on the Deuces where everyone is increasing the fuel it would seem to be more needed.

seano11

I wonder if you did not do any mods like increase the air flow first then added more fuel would one have to worrie about it. Now on the Deuces where everyone is increasing the fuel it would seem to be more needed.
When cummins canada redid my pump after the american cummins did it They told me they brought it up to "Our specs" which they said was a different button for more fuel pressure and Now I'm just a little interested in what its putting out for temps on some of the hills we have here

steelandcanvas

I installed these units a few years ago, I've been very happy with them. The Pyro does not require any power to operate. I asked the MFG to install 24 volt red LED backlighting in the gauges to match my Deuce's instrument panel. Hewitt Industries Bolsa, CA. http://shopping.murcal.com/Catalog/Hewitt-Industries

Attachments

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use just about any pyrometer, BUT, the gauge typically has a light in it, and it needs to be 24vdc. So that narrows your choices. I made the mistake of buying a 12vdc gauge and had to buy a resistor for it to work with 24v.

I really like the gauge and sensor from Isspro.

TMNT

I just installed the Isspro gauge. I asked them to put 24V bulbs in it, which they did. The Isspro uses an amplified probe though, so you must also power the gauge itself. They supplied a diode, not a resistor, that goes in line with the 24V source to drop the voltage down to 12V.

I tied the illumination circuit into the instrument cluster lights and I tied the gauge power into the instrument cluster power. I'm looking for red bulbs so the illumination will match the other gauges.

So far, I like it.

rlwm211

I bought a K type ISS PRO thermocouple and gauge. No Power required and still has illumination via a 24 volt bulb.

The real question is where to install it.

I did a study using two thermocouples to verify the claims that the post turbo PYROMETER reads 100 degrees lower than the pre turbo.

Here is the link to the thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/69213-changing-head-gaskets-dual-egt-gauge-test-program.html

I would strongly suggest using a gauge that does not require power to work.

This is akin to a mechanical gauge which I find preferrable over electrically operated ones.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use just about any pyrometer, BUT, the gauge typically has a light in it, and it needs to be 24vdc. So that narrows your choices. I made the mistake of buying a 12vdc gauge and had to buy a resistor for it to work with 24v.
In most gauges you can swap out the 12v bulb with a 24v one real easy. Or do like I did, wire your boost gauge light and your pyro light in series.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggest that you put the pyrometer above the steering column where you can see it easily without taking your eyes far off of the road ahead of you. You really need to keep an eye on it when you have the fuel turned up, and having to look down to the dash panel is just that much more time your eyes are off the road.

rlwm211

I installed mine on the column, offset slightly to make it more visible. JC Whitney has a nice metal 2" gauge pod that clamps on for about 10$.

TMNT

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335486727.360999.jpg
I agree with the steering column idea. Minimal installation effort, no changes to authenticity of the truck, easy to keep an eye on while driving.

steelandcanvas

I installed mine on the column, offset slightly to make it more visible. JC Whitney has a nice metal 2" gauge pod that clamps on for about 10$.
Got a part number? I just dug through their catalog and couldn't find anything that mounted on the steering column. Good idea, I'd like to mount mine that way.

TMNT

My computer crashed and I've had a heck of a time finding the part numbers for the IssPro gauge and mounting cup that I used. I bought mine from egauges.com. Here's the mounting cup that I used to mount my pyro on the steering column.

Mounting Cups:*2 1/16" Dia. Mounting Cups - Black - egauges.com

The only issue for me was that I had to trim the mounting studs off of the rear of the gauge to make it fit. If you could find a similar cup that was about 1/2" deeper, it would work better.

Here's the gauge that I selected. This is a powered gauge and some here recommend a purely mechanical gauge. A mechanical gauge would be easier to install but I have no experience to provide an adequate comparison. I like the one I have, but no knocks on anything else either.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type=Pyrometer&Series=EVA_R&PN=R3607TR

You'll also need this probe:
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?Sender=ISSPRO_Thermo_1_5&PN=R658SPL

And this lead wire:
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?Sender=ISSPRO_Pyrometer_Lead&PN=R660-10PL

Talk to Mac at egauges and he can help get you set up for 24V with 24V bulbs and the proper diode to install in the power lead to power the gauge. I recommend talking to Mac at egauge as part of your purchase. He was very helpful to me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks