• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Axle swap

derekrayhall

I know its probably already out there somewhere on these forums, but I didnt see it. I have my M101A2 and its such a PITA to find wheels for it that are wider (8 on 6.5) lugs... I think replacing the axle to change wheel pattern and switch to electric brakes and to save weight sounds like a great plan.

What is the most cost effective way to do the axle swap... price? components? How wide is the stock axle hub face to hub face...

If I wanted to run a new axle with a wider stance... my jeep has 35/12.50/18... then how wide would my new axle need to be?

What would the electric brake hookup be like? Do I need some sort of controller?

Anyone done all this before?

Thanks,

Derek

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know its probably already out there somewhere on these forums, but I didnt see it. I have my M101A2 and its such a PITA to find wheels for it that are wider (8 on 6.5) lugs... I think replacing the axle to change wheel pattern and switch to electric brakes and to save weight sounds like a great plan.

What is the most cost effective way to do the axle swap... price? components? How wide is the stock axle hub face to hub face...

If I wanted to run a new axle with a wider stance... my jeep has 35/12.50/18... then how wide would my new axle need to be?

What would the electric brake hookup be like? Do I need some sort of controller?

Anyone done all this before?

Thanks,

Derek
For real? Here are 1252 results for wheels that will bolt on to your trailer in every concievible style and size imaginable.

8 x 6 1/2 in. - Wheels - Wheels - Wheels & Tires - SummitRacing.com

blybrook

I think the M101A2 / A3 is the easiest trailer to get rims for! I use 92-97 Ford F250 / F350 Rims personally as they bolt right on. The 8 on 6.5 is a very common lug spacing to deal with. I turned it from hub centric to lug centric by doing this; but it matched my tow vehicle at the time. 90's era dodge and chevy 8 lugs also fit, IIRC. The chevy rim would be hub centric & would match the original rims exactly.

If you are set on an axle swap, take a look at Dexter axles. You will have a lot of different choices to the capacity, rims and brakes. You could go with a marine axle and keep the hydraulic surge assembly; otherwise, you'd have to install an electric brake controller and a 6 or 7 pin harness on the tow vehicle.

If you want a wider stance, you have to ensure that the axle is designed for the eccentricity of the springs to the hub (Dexter axles are very specific on the spring center line distances and the hub clearance). A custom manufactured axle MIGHT get you the width you need, but you'll pay extra for it. You may get away with the larger tires on a wider rim from a vehicle mentioned above; or get a custom one put together with a different back spacing and use the stock axle.

The electric brakes would be either a 6 pin or a 7 pin connector on the tow vehicle. You'll use one of those extra wires for the 12v line I think you were asking about in another thread. You will need to add a controller into the cab of the towing vehicle. Most current trucks (post '90) have a plugin of some sort already installed if it has a tow package already.

Good luck on the project.

derekrayhall

Thanks! so the 7 pin plugs will allow for electric brakes control...thats great. I am looking for a 16x8... most stock steel wheels are 16x6 or 6.5

I am also looking to lose some weight... the surge brakes weigh a ton. Wider stance is also a "want"

All of which I want to do on the cheap... buying fancy wheels will cost almost as much as replacing the axle and losing the weight.

D

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bougtht two replacement Dexter axles, 6000# rated for a different trailer. They cost about $600 each. Nothing about your idea sounds inexpensive to me, nor do I think you will shed any measurable amount of weight.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The whole trailer only weighs 1300lbs, I don't see how the surge brakes weight a ton! Sounds like a lot of work to lose a whopping 400lbs.

quickfarms

what model and year jeep are you towing the trailer with?

The surge brake actuator weighs less than a 100 pounds but you will need to keep the base and add a new coupler. I have one sitting in the shop and it is nit that heavy to pick up.

The axle and hubs will weigh the same for both hydraulic and electric brakes.

The electric brake drums may be a little heavier due to the actuator band for the magnets.

The backing plates weigh about the same.

For the electric brakes you will have to add the brake away actuator, battery.

You will also have to add the controller to your jeep.

Sounds like a bunch of work to save less than a 100 pounds.

If you just want to increase the track width, how about a set of spacers? I wonder if you could get a set of spacers that would also change the bolt pattern to match the jeep.

Personally I think the M101A2 is the most practical of the M101 series trailers for civilian use.

michigan4x4

As far as i am concerned, unless you plan on using the trailer to carry loads up to, and in excess of, the capacity of the trailer, the surge brakes are worthless.
I just removed the Surge assembly, brake lines, backing plates with shoes and drums... All that stuff adds up to quite a bit of weight. Mind you I live in Michigan so we have no Mountains here and my tow vehicle 2004 Chevy Colorado Z71 stops the trailer just fine (again, as long as it isnt loaded super heavy).

I could shed some more weight by going to an alloy wheel but am partial to the steelies. I havent really looked for wider steel wheels that resemble the ones that are currently on the trailer but would eventually like to go wider and a bit lower.

I will keep my on on this thread.

PS. Anyone know the back spacing on the Stock A2 steel wheels?

Last edited:

derekrayhall

All great posts and ideas!!! I have a 2005 TJ on 35's... how about this idea... get a $500 rear disc brake kit for the jeep and remove the idea of trailer brakes all together?

michigan4x4

All great posts and ideas!!! I have a 2005 TJ on 35's... how about this idea... get a $500 rear disc brake kit for the jeep and remove the idea of trailer brakes all together?
That is what I did. Removed the brakes all together. Brings it from a 1300 lb trailer to a 1000 lb trailer. I actually like mine with no brakes. I think Mark Harley removed the bakes on his as well.

derekrayhall

For anyone interested, I have done some research on making my tires sit fatter:
Junkyard finds on the cheap for the M101A2 8 on 6.5 wheel
Hummer H2 2003-2007 17x8.5
Suburban HD2500/3500 2008-2011 17x7.5
Dodge 2500 2003-2010 17x8
Dodge 2500 200-2002 16x8
Ford truck F250/350 1992-1997 16x7
Ford VAN F250/350 1992-2010 16x7

All of these pick and pull choices are fatter than the 16x6 I am running now. I have 35's on my jeep and the thin tires on the trailer look silly...lol

I did some more research and decided to upgrade to a big brake kit on my jeep for better overall stopping performance and take Harleys advice and lose the weight of the surge brake down the road.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

Iron Bender

For anyone interested, I have done some research on making my tires sit fatter:
Junkyard finds on the cheap for the M101A2 8 on 6.5 wheel
Hummer H2 2003-2007 17x8.5
Suburban HD2500/3500 2008-2011 17x7.5
Dodge 2500 2003-2010 17x8
Dodge 2500 200-2002 16x8
Ford truck F250/350 1992-1997 16x7
Ford VAN F250/350 1992-2010 16x7

All of these pick and pull choices are fatter than the 16x6 I am running now. I have 35's on my jeep and the thin tires on the trailer look silly...lol

I did some more research and decided to upgrade to a big brake kit on my jeep for better overall stopping performance and take Harleys advice and lose the weight of the surge brake down the road.

Thanks again for everyones comments.
I think you need to some more research. A lot of the wheels you listed will probably have too much backspacing to work well on an M101A2. You are likely going to have to go aftermarket to get what you need.

For an M101A2, you are going to want some wheels with no more than 4.5 to 5" of backspace. To get my M101A2 home from GL, I originally ran a set of old 16x8 chrome wagon wheels with 4.25" of backspacing and 35" tires. Later on I replaced those wheels with some Black Rock Lobos, 16x8 with 4.5" of backspacing. The new wheels cost me 176 shipped to my house and I sold the old ones (set of 4) on Craigslist for $50.

Attachments

westhomas

I think you need to some more research. A lot of the wheels you listed will probably have too much backspacing to work well on an M101A2. You are likely going to have to go aftermarket to get what you need.

For an M101A2, you are going to want some wheels with no more than 4.5 to 5" of backspace. To get my M101A2 home from GL, I originally ran a set of old 16x8 chrome wagon wheels with 4.25" of backspacing and 35" tires. Later on I replaced those wheels with some Black Rock Lobos, 16x8 with 4.5" of backspacing. The new wheels cost me 176 shipped to my house and I sold the old ones (set of 4) on Craigslist for $50.
Those wheels look nice! I'm looking to get a similar set, but I'd love them to match my Toyota Land Cruiser lug spacing. Looking for some wheel spacers that change the pattern, but they don't come cheap!

westhomas

If it is a Dexter axle, You could get new 6 bolt hubs.
Yeah, I was looking into that. I followed your build long before I decided to buy my trailer. At this point, I'm not looking to throw down the money for the dexter + e-brakes. Maybe someday. But I am will to spend a bit of cash to get matching lug patterns. That allows me to swap in a 6 lug dexter sometime in the future.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer...M101A2 is to heavy for a jeep unless you have an older one with a V8.
The M416, and M100 trailers are perfect for a jeep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks