• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this big enough for blasting

goatijoe

I would say so it says 15cmf well over 100psi. I know it would run a 1'' tire impact with out any problem. As far as blasting I would say that it would do good or great at blasting sand. It looks like to be one heck of a compressor.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure looks like it would do just about anything you wanted from the specs.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a lot of blasting using big diesel screw compressors, and trying to use lots of smaller compressors. That looks like a nice heavy duty compressor, but it will put out it's rated capacity of air and no more. You didn't specify what the needs of your blaster are. Do you have one bought or picked out yet? If you are just doing spot blasting on smaller stuff then it will do a great job. If you are hoping to blast a whole truck with it though, you may not be happy with the results.

What did you have in mind for a blaster?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it will do blasting, but NOT very fast.

You will be surprised how fast you'll use up that volume of air with even a small blaster.

Also, it will run a good 3/4" or 1" impact pretty easily, but do yourself a favor and get high flow fittings. The "standard" 1/4" quick connect fittings that are on about 90% of home shop compressors will not flow enough CFM to run a decent 3/4" impact effectively. I re-plumbed my compressor, and hoses and tools with 3/8" "snap-tite" fittings like the one linked. They are rated for enough flow to run my large 3/4" impact with plenty of power. Remember, it's not only PSI you need to get the maximum torque from an impact tool, it's flow as well (CFM)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size sand blaster you got. Mine is a 400 lb and I use an airman 185 cmf.
The size nozzell will tell you what you need.

chevyCUCV

I have worked a couple times now doing blasting, mostly fire's in homes.
We use a ingersoll rand trailer rater 185 cfm i think.
It struggles to hold 100 psi while blasting,

I dont know all the details/specs, but if your doing lots of continuous blasting, go BIG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It will run a cabinet sand blaster, but not a big pressure pot to do a 6x6! You need volume, not pressure. 15cfm@100psi is nice for a shop, but 100cfm@100psi is what the trailer units put out, and thats on the small end.

I say no.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have said, it will run a blaster but not a big one very well. It would be more than enough to run a small one in a blast cabinet.

Most big blasters run best on a fairly good sized screw compressor. You can find decent used screws fairly cheap if you look around but be careful, they can cost a fortune to repair.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will run any air tool you need and the portable blasters from Northern or Harbor Freight that use a 1/8" or less nozzle. Backyard units/hobbiest yes, big industrial sandblast units-no.

plym49

Blast what? A wheel? Yes. Radiator grill? Yes. Bumper or firewall? Yes, but with a coffee break or two. A frame or body? No.

Gunfreak25

Ideally, I would like to blast clean old engines, axle housings, Tcases, wheels, nothing huge. I have a 60 gallon Manchester Tank I could also re-tank it with. According to an air calculator it would take 1:45 seconds to fill a 60 gallon tank to 175 psi with this setup.

At 20 years old I have come to find that like good guns, good tools are an excellent investment.
Now that I have slowly built up a small array of tools thanks to the M211 project I find myself looking to purchase my 1st compressor. Unfortunately there is a LOT of garbage out there today between oiless units and Chinese made belt driven compressors.

I've gotten to where I either built it myself or buy vintage tool's because they are made well, look nostalgic and chances are still work better than any newer tool on the market. Even if it needs rebuilding, cleaning or repair I believe your hard earned money is better spent in the pockets of those who sell old tool's like pawn shops and small antique stores, than in the pockets of someone who imports, stocks and condones the sale of foreign made tool's.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a 60 gallon tank, just use that as a secondary tank to increase your volume to 90 gallons. Once the tanks are both full, with a small pot blaster you should be able to do most of what you need to do. Trust me, you can blast with a smaller compressor (I did, and do with a 2 or 300# pot blaster) but it's not a fast process. You'll blast for a bit until you run out of air, and then just have to wait until you are full again to start over. Only takes time.

gimpyrobb

I've gotten to where I either built it myself or buy vintage tool's because they are made well, look nostalgic and chances are still work better than any newer tool on the market. Even if it needs rebuilding, cleaning or repair I believe your hard earned money is better spent in the pockets of those who sell old tool's like pawn shops and small antique stores, than in the pockets of someone who imports, stocks and condones the sale of foreign made tool's.

THIS!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Special Ed, add both tanks and you will be fine for what you want to do.

plym49

Agreed, with your clarification, that unit will work. Adding the extra air tank will help. BTW, my air compressor is from the 1940s and it still works just fine. It's a big horizontal unit with an old-fashioned GE 5 horse electric motor. The motor is twice the size of what it would be today because wire insulation was not as good back then (so the windings were bigger, as was the motor). Todays motors are more efficient but I like my old iron antique.

gimpyrobb

Haha, my first old air compressor had a riveted air tank. I wish it hadn't rusted a hole in it. MAN was that tank cool. Its ok, now I have a Champion on an 80gal tank that is half as big and puts out twice as much air.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do blast now with a small compressor. And I have used big screw compressors to do production blasting.

For small projects, the compressor you have specified will work great. Just DON'T waste your time, fuel, and air with play sand. Buy good sharp sandblasting grit with some tooth to it and you will be surprised what it will do. Now I have a Harbor Freight blast cabinet and one of their little rubber tipped blast guns. Both do a great job with small stuff and I don't have any big expectations of them, so I am happy with what I can get done.

As for blasting big stuff, I have high hopes for my 4000 PSI pressure washer and wet blasting attachment. Haven't tried it yet though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks