• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Inertia Brake Questions

NMC_EXP

Have an M101A2 with the inertia (surge) brake system.

Is use it for camping and light (500 lb) hauling towed with an M1009.

Question:

When properly maintained is the inertia brake system reliable and durable?

Reading thru the various threads here I get the impression this system is problematic.

If this system is a high maintenance item I'd be tempted to pull it off and install the original lunette and bracket.

Also, when hooked up to the M1009 the trailer is nose down about 2". Appears the original lunette would allow me to get the trailer drawbar level with the tow vehicle.

Input will be appreciated.

Regards

Jim

KaiserM109

If you decide to scrap it, let's figure out what shipping will cost to Denver, CO and I might be interested in the parts. I just won a bid on an M101A2 which I bid on SPECIFICALLY to get the surge brakes.

I have an M101A1 that I got wo/ tongue and wheels or drums. I cut the original 5 bolt hubs off and welded on hubs from the front of a '74 Bronco so that I got a fully floating wheel and 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern to match my '69 Bronco.

All my experiences I have had with civilian surge brakes have been good. As far as my M101A1 with a fab'd tongue, I love it except it needs brakes if I load it with more than 1000 lb.

Again, if you decide to scrape the brakes let me know.

KaiserM109

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience the surge brakes work great.
The cylinder is more than enough to stop a fully loaded trailer.
Which can cause an issue if the shock absorber / dampner is bad, causing a grab & release situation.

I have had & used mine for a few years now without issue, even use it behind the Cherokee.

NMC_EXP

KaiseM109

If I do the swap, I'll let you know.

I'm in the flatlands now. In two years I'll be in CO and having trailer brakes will be more important. Intend to take the trailer so that is another factor to consider.

Not sure where you are coming from on the spare tire mount?

Someday I'd like to hang the spare under the trailer.

Regards

Jim

KaiserM109

KaiseM109

... In two years I'll be in CO and having trailer brakes will be more important. Intend to take the trailer so that is another factor to consider.

Not sure where you are coming from on the spare tire mount?
Jim
I came down from near the Divide on a really windey road with ~2500 lb. in the trailer and it got quite interesting!! My Bronco weighed probably 3500 gross and the 2 were fighting about going around corners.

The spare comment was meant for another thread; my little mine got all swirled up. I edited it out. see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/85718-m101a1-build.html for some nice ideas.

blybrook

I routinely haul 350 gallons of water in my M101A2 (~1.5 ton). I've had two bad issues with the brakes, one was an issue in the surge assembly that caused things to lock up; the other was a frozen cable.

When the system is properly maintained and checked over, I'd take it over my electric trailer brakes any day. Since I rebuilt the system last year, I've had 0 issues. I'd recommend going through the system and ensuring that it meets TM specifications; then you'll know where everything is should something go wrong. You may also catch something that could cause a problem down the road.

A regular inspection is all that's really needed to ensure everything is ready to roll. In the time I've had my M101 (2 years now), I've only had one major repair to do; everything else was basic, routine maintenance.

3dAngus

I've had about 4-6 of each, and strangely enough, it would appear thus far the surge brakes on the M101A2 are far more reliable then those on the newer M1101/1102 series.

Results will vary, but I've tested on at least six of each, and owned at least 4 each of my own.

DAP

Wow I was just in Denver but they wouldn't have let me carry it on the plane. I would like to get your surge brake set. Contact me via email.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks