• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dolly ID

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone tell which dolly this is? Even era would be a help, post WWII? It only has one set of tandem wheels with what looks like a landing leg with two solid metal wheels. I would like to know about how much weight is on the hitch without a load on the dolly, it looks like it would be tough to manhandle onto the pintal on my Armada.
Thanks,
James G.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtmmjaymeg@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762382362964

westfolk

Tried the link. Yahoo tells me there's a problem. Yeah there's a problem...Yahoo isn't letting me look at the pic.......

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is a single axle (as far as the photo shows) M 197 trailer convertor dolly that is towed by a deuce or prefferably a five ton and has a fifth wheel like a tractor that can hook to a semi trailer with a kingpin. See my post on the dolly convertor saga continues for close up pictures of my home made version of the same thing

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the picture quality I took the photo from a road I wasn't supposed to be on of a dolly in a field I couldn't go in.
James G.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Joe:
I am quite sure the M 197 replaced the 3 ton version 363. We used both the M 197 and M 354 convertors during the Desert Storm War because our Division did not have enough tractors and drivers to do a single lift move of the divisional equipment. The 354 is a two axle version with eight wheels. The drivers did not like hauling them as it limited them to hardball or packed gravel roads and made their progress very slow. I will update my dolly post in this regard if the LORD allows me to make it home safely with my homemade one and the M 127 I am picking up in New Jersey

westfolk

I was just going by what I could make out of the pic. The "one set of tandems" threw me off. As sometimes dual wheels are called tandems wheels. Though I don't know why or is it "correct". Versus a single axle with duals or a tandem axle with singles. But hey as long as the job gets done. What's it matter.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I will sure be able to add to Ken's knowledge after I get home Lord willing with the M 127 from Jersey. I am hoping my longer homemade version will accually trailer better and give me a little more backing control. I have backed doubles a hundred feet and a triple about ten but that is back when my eyes were better and if I had not done it I would have frozen my buns off in the truck bay having to keep the door open on a cold winter in the Berkshire mountains.

westfolk

Hear ya there. I've backed doubles before, never triples. Although back in the good ole days...I do remember every now and then backing up a baler with a hay wagon hooked to the baler. I wonder if I could have done it with two wagons on the back??? Someday I will have a dolly or two. someday.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea of how much weight is on the lunnette with out a load on the dolly. I may be able to get this dolly for a couple of hundred dollars, but can I mount it on the pintal hitch on my Armada, it's going to be a lot lower than the foot is going to match up with, I could use a jack if the weight is excessive, I guess!
James G.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I towed my M200A1 with my Suburban it was a chore to be sure but the trailers are not too partiular to having a low pintal for towing as long as you are not hauling anything too heavy. Take along a High lift jack to lower the lunette down to your reciver mount pintal. The whole dolly should only weigh about 2K at most and that is within a truck capability. I would never think of hauling the dolly with anything but my duece or bigger when it has the M 127 on it

Scrounger

If is an M197 total weight is around 2880 lbs. The weight on the lunette is 390 lbs. The front leg folds up, but the two pins that hold it in the raised position may be missing. A couple of ½” bolts about 12” long can substitute. It will help if you have a high hitch and a high lift jack will definitely come in handy.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time I visit my parents I am going to hit him up on the dolly, he is also supposed to have a half track some where on the property. In a couple of months I will have better photos.
James G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks