• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The ubiquitous knuckleboom deuce

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just returned from pulling a stuck pickup truck up an icy hill. The man's truck had ended up across the narrow dirt road after sliding down the hill.
Fortunately, I still had the chains on the deuce so after parking the new trailer, another tricky thing to learn (it took almost 1/2 an hour to turn it around and get it right in the yard), I headed down the road to the pickup truck.
The crane was turned to the front of the deuce. We hooked up the front end of the PU to the extended boom. The PU front end was lifted and the vehicle set right on the road. Next, it was towed up the hill as I was backing up and he was on his way again. There were trees all around and along the road, so the crane had to be positioned vertically to swing around.
Note: The deuce was used in a 4x4 mode (no stub axle) and I 'm wondering if I will ever need it again.
Tried to upload more pictures, but the attachment manager timed out, must be doing something wrong. :cry:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today we experimented with two snatch blocks and used the crane as an improvised winch.
The mechanical advantage was 2:1 so the boom had to be lifted several times to complete the pull. The M37 was pulled over the hump and the engine was running at about 1,000 rpm completeing the job without difficulty. The wheels had to be chocked, needless to say.

Kenny, the wire rope is the one you gave me a couple of weeks ago, thanks! I think I found a use for it.
The 5-ton snatch blocks came from Colemans Surplus ($35/ea), as suggested by someone on this forum, thanks, excellent service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks