• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton hubsteps

jesusgatos

A number of people have contacted me, asking about hubsteps for the 5-ton trucks. Welder Sam shipped me an extra drive flange off an 809, so I started working on this a few days ago. This CAD model is still pretty rough, but have a few questions:

Are the drive flanges the same for the front and rear axles?

Are the drive flanges the same for all the 800 and 900 series trucks?

How far would you like these to stick-out? Right now they extend out 2.5" from the mounting surface (drive flange), and the two step rings are 1" apart. That's about as compact as I can make these things, to where they're almost touching the outside of the drive flange. But could easily extend them out another inch or two if you guys want to have a bigger platform to stand on. Don't have one of these trucks myself, so don't know what might work best.

Finally, would like to gage interest. They're quite a bit bigger than the 2.5-ton hubsteps, so expect the price to be a bit higher (under $200pr?). Only making these due to demand, so if you want a pair, please post-up. Probably not going to make many extra sets.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you put blades sticking out on them they would work for the next Death Race movie......

But they look nice.

jesusgatos

Well, there are two schools of thought when it comes to things like pedals, pegs, etc. Make them 'shin-friendly' and you'll be a little bit more likely to slip off them, but shouldn't tear you up too bad when you do. Or make shin-shredders, and hope that the extra traction will keep you from slipping off them, because it's going to hurt if/when you do.

Maybe someone could take a few measurements for me. Would be helpful to know how far the drive flange mounting surface is from the outside of the wheel lip on a set of super-singles.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I these would look pretty sweet, but I never approach from the sides. With the air cleaner on the road side, and the fender at high chest level on the curb side I can't imagine trying to climb up from the side. I find it incredibly easy to climb up between the grill/fender and the bumper (with winch). With that said I think these look cool, they would make the truck stand out, but in a subtle way. I might be in for a set. What kind of finish do they have? Would they come ready to bolt on, or is some assembly required?

jesusgatos

The other way to approach this whole hubstep deal would be to bolt them on to the wheels using budd-style lugnuts. That would allow the hubstep to be a much larger diameter, and the inside of the hubstep could also serve as a place to stand (inside/bottom would be step number one and outside/top would be step number two). The main reason I decided to go this way is that these hubsteps also make changing wheels/tires a lot easier. See those hooks on the end of each spoke? Those aren't for looks. They catch the lip of the wheel opening and hold the wheel in place. Then the spokes guide the wheel up/down as you're taking it on/off. But I appreciate all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks