• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

not a jeep but new here... 42 Ford 1.5 Ton questions

JadXtreme

Hey all, I'm very proud owner of a 1942 Ford 1.5 Ton truck. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a resource for what these trucks were used for. I have had very poor results in my looking for information on these trucks. Also, what I have found is that it should have the flathead V8 in it, but mine has the flathead straight 6. Supposedly it is a US Air Corps 1942 Model 11 T-80 Ford 1.5 ton 4x2. It was manufactured in December of 1941 and has been partially restored.

Just wondering if I can get some help here on usage and general information on the truck. Thanks.

mikes47jeep

looks like a Ford G8T

if it was in the military it was very early because it still has the civillian dash, the later G8T's had the same gauges as a jeep

there are a bunch of places that specialize in vintage ford trucks, there really isnt any difference between the military and civilian model

give these guys a shot

MAC's Antique Auto Parts

Dennis Carpenter Ford Car, F-100 Pickup Truck, 8N, 9N Tractor and Cushman Scooter Restoration Parts

Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

they have helped me out with my 48 ford truck

by the way here's a photo of our Re-enactor groups 44 G8T for at Fort Indiantown Gap

Attachments

JadXtreme

The ignition has already been converted over to 12 volt, but none of the rest of the electronics are hooked up. I actually plan on getting another wiring harness for it. Will I have to do anything special to the gauges since I plan on running a 12 volt system?

Also, is there a fan that isn't as loud as the stock one? It sounds like an airplane fixing to take off when it's running. I would like to put a 14" 3000 CFM efan that I have laying around on it.

Can the generator be upgraded to run 12 volt?

The dash plate said it was delivered in Dec of 1941, does that make it a 1941 or a 1942 model?

APM215

I want to say that truck looks great and would be a ton of fun.
I have owned both the civilian and military versions of this truck. Typically from my own encounters with these trucks the differences are all in the cab with only cosmetic changes to the rest of the truck. One big dereference with the cabs is on the G8T there is a fold out front window that requires the vacuum wiper motors to be located on the top of the window as opposed to the civilian version having them on the bottom making the cabs different between the two. The fuel tank was located outside the truck and in some cases the tank under the seat was never installed and the filler hole in the cab was blanked off. Outside there was no trim with the exception of the hood latch and no chrome any ware except on the instrument cluster in the cab, head lights had guards over them and the bullet marker lights on the fenders were not installed. The brake drums and hubs were different as well using a 6 lug style as opposed to the 5 lug Ford typically used on those trucks. Engines were nine times out of ten the 6 cylinder but I have seen the flat head V8 in them also. I’m sure there are other small difference that I’m forgetting.
P.S. 1947 ford 2 ton was my first Car.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Here is a few pics. Is this the right sub-forum for me to post in?
Not really a correct forum for this truck so I think this one is okay.

Do I see a data plate over by the glovebox? If so post a picture of it. Might shed some light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks