• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lots of Military Vehicles on GSA site in MO - ends Jan 15th

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont mean to draw too much attention to these auctions, but since I don't plan on bidding, thought you might want to know. About 20 military rigs, from M715s and M880s to deuces, on the GSA site, in Missouri. Auctions end Jan 15.

lacoda56

RE: Lots of Military Vehicles on GSA site in MO - ends Jan 1

There's also 5 1/2 pages of surplus in Indiana, from sleeping bags and parkas to trailers and tools. I think this one is ending on the 15th also.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not bidding either, but it shocks me why people feel the need to tell the world about trucks that are coming up. The original post states that this info is being posted because he is not planning to bid. I take that to mean that he would not have posted this info if he was targeting these trucks. People are going to do what they want, and that is their choice (free country). People need to realize that posts such as these increase prices and competition. I wonder how the poster would feel if he were targeting a truck about which a good samaritan alerted the list.

This post is NOT A PERSONAL attack. This is just my opinion, but I know it is one that is shared by MANY of the people I know on this list.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I post the notice in the hopes that someone here, who did not previously know about the auction listings, will get a good truck for their motor pool.

Would you rather I not post, noone know, and all the mil trucks go to a scrappers torch at a REALLY low price? Your choice Bruce.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I honestly meant no offense. My only point was that by alerting everyone, you may run the risk of running prices up. I am not an old timer in this (I've only been in the hobby since 1999), but I have seen prices soar on GSA. Trucks used to be reasonable on GSA. Now, they go crazy. I am not saying that you or anyone else should not alert their friends...only that I bet hundreds...perhaps, thousands...of guys interested in getting trucks are crusing the web. When they happen upon such info as appears on this list, they now know about trucks that some people on this list already knew about...thereby creating more competition. I am not saying you made a mistake...you meant well...I am only saying that we all know about GSA and GL...no use pointing out trucks that are there that we all know about. IF I miss a truck because I forgot to check GSA...my loss. Anyway, no offense meant...

TheBuggyman

I know how to fix this situation!

If you guys could just foward all of this info to me via a PM I will sift through it and decide which auctions should be made public.

There, now isn't that a selfless act?

:D

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a debate that happens over and over, but I have to say that I agree with Bruce on this. I too have only been in this game since 1999, but I am always amazed how many guys want to share auction information with the world, but only because they're not bidding. If you were bidding, your lips would be sealed. Suppose you are the guy who is bidding and I just told the world about these trucks. You can still get them, but the price might go up. Granted, as publicized as these auctions are it might not matter much anymore, but I would rather not take the risk of screwing one guy that I don't know personally to help another guy that I don't know personally. They could both be members of this forum and while that is a compelling reason to share, I prefer to be silent for that very reason.

There are plenty of guys who don't check GSA or GL several times a week and they find out about trucks through this channel. That's sort of like MV welfare, isn't it? Those of us who are looking for deals are no longer rewarded with a good buy (rare as they are). We all know about GSA and GL. If I miss a truck because I was not diligent in checking, its my fault. If I see a truck that I think a friend would be interested in, I might alert them, but I'm not sharing with the world.

And I doubt these trucks will be going to the scrapper's torch either. Most scrap dealers aren't looking to buy scrap that they have to haul to their location. If you drag it in, they buy it, but scouring the internet for scrap trucks ain't the typical scrap dealers M/O.

I agree with TheBuggyman. PM me and I'll decide if it should be made public... :D

Just my 2cents

Katch1

go ahead and post the notices if you wish. If as they all say these are known sites to look for a truck it shouldn't create any more competition. I really don't think we are all looking at each sale due to logistics.
I also am not looking to start a war of words, but this is a public forum, and we must take into account that everything thats posted here will not always benefit ourselves.
The flip side of it, the guy that sees a deal close to home he missed may appreciate it. My 2cents , and that may be all its worth

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
lacoda56: No need to apologize. You might have helped out someone who missed it. My only point was that you don't know if it was at the expense of someone who had not missed it. You never know...

Katch1: It's a public forum and people can post what they wish. I am not naive enough to think that eveything posted here is for my benefit. I do not dispute that people can post whatever they want about trucks for sale. I just question the action.

The sites are not a secret, nor should they be. Someone let me know where to buy trucks in 1999 and I do the same. Where to get trucks is one thing. Posting about specific trucks is totally different. Let them do the work too. GL is the only site that a casual browser can see a truck well before it's auction date. GSA or any other site lists the truck and it's gone in a week or less, so you really need to watch regularly. This type of thing alerts everyone to these trucks and eliminates any advantage that the diligent watcher had -- creating increased competition and the "MV welfare program". Again, PEOPLE DON'T POST ABOUT TRUCKS THEY ARE BIDDING ON. Why is that? Actually, some people do post to ask people not to bid against them, which also has the effect of alerting everyone who did not know about them. I'm realistic about it. I know there are plenty of folks who don't know me from Adam and would not care if I was bidding on something if they are interested, regardless of what I request on a forum. Sure, I could justify a request like that by saying I don't want to bid something up on a fellow MV'er, but then again, do I really expect fellow MV'ers to bow out because I'm interested? That's a little presumptuous of me, isn't it? Are they jerks if they don't bow out? No, they could very well have seen it before me and feel that I should bow out. I think anonymity is the best policy and whoever wants it more will get it.

And as for GL sales, they also only last for a few days and those who don't scour them ahead of time probably don't see everything.

From a taxpayer standpoint, I want as much revenue as possible, but in the scheme of surplus and with the current prices, I would prefer to get a few good deals as a hobbyist over a little extra revenue, so I keep quiet.

And, since you point out the flip side, I will point out the flip-flip side of it: The guy WHO DID SEE the deal close to home and WAS WINNING the bid at a fairly good price probably DOESN'T appreciate it. That was my point.

Not knowing who's actually bidding on what and not having a nickel in that quarter, so to speak (since I am not bidding), I don't feel it's my position or responsibility to get involved in their business. Others feel differently... Ain't America great!! I think so.

lacoda56

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't see the problem with letting people on this forum know what's up for auction. I wasn't aware that auctions were a secret so that a few individuals could get a "deal". If I'm bidding on something and someone goes higher, it's theirs.! That's why they call it an auction! Anything else can be viewed as bid rigging, and that's a serious offense where I come from. It's usually followed by being banned from bidding, either for a set time or permanently. As far as I'm concerned, Madawg and I were only trying to be informative and maybe help out someone who missed the listing, and anyone that feels otherwise can take a flying leap. Sorry for being the way I am, but after 50 years, I've developed an attitude, and it ain't gonna change.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think anyone is trying to be a jerk by notifying anyone else, in fact the intention is noble enough. The problem remains that by trying to help out someone who may have missed the listing, you could very well be hurting someone who already knew about it. Auctions are not secret just so someone can get a deal, but if you were bidding, you would like a decent deal as much as anyone else. If I alert the world and someone comes in to casually bid on the truck who did not know about it, you might pay an extra $500 to get it. I just cost you $500 more. I don't like to be on the receiving end of that. It's going to happen, but I refuse to add to the effect.

There are 2 typical positions on the issue. The first says: I will post specific auctions *that I'm not bidding on* (note that nifty little caveat/double standard) and the second says: I won't post specific auctions even if I'm not bidding.

Now, the first position, though noble, is directly selfish and contains a double standard, since no one posts to say "I'm bidding on these trucks. Did you guys see them? Man they look good. You all should bid on them too." :cookoo: While everyone would like to feel good about the fact that they might have helped out a fellow MV'er, they overlook the fact that the MV'er who was already bidding wasn't looking for any more competition.

The second position is also selfish , but there's no double standard. I don't want someone posting about a truck I'm bidding on because there is always a chance that someone who did not know about it will start bidding and I will have to pay more for it or might lose it. From a taxpayer standpoint, I love it if I'm not in the running. However, when I'm in the running, I don't like it. That fact alone overrides my taxpayer view when I'm not involved.

Different philosophies, I guess. Just because Bruce and I are the only ones who voiced this opinion, don't fool yourself into thinking that we're the only ones who feel this way. EVERYONE ELSE DOES TOO. Don't believe me? Then WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE POST THE TRUCKS THEY ARE BIDDING ON AND BEG OTHERS TO BID AGAINST THEM??? Sometimes people are just overcome by the incredible urge to be a "buddy" to a stranger on the forum. I would like to do that sometimes. But, being a buddy to someone on the forum might mean taking money out someone else's pockets and I don't think that's the right thing to do either. I'd rather stay out of it and let things run their course and whoever wins, wins! I sleep better at night this way. I'll go take that flying leap now...

BTW: There's no "bid rigging" going on just because someone doesn't know about a truck for sale.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me set the scenario to make this even more clear. You have ID'ed a truck that you have to have. Let's say it is a nice M35A2 on GSA near your home. Your wife has set a spending limit (or perhaps you are on a budget). Just ask yourself this question: would you notify the list about this beautiful truck? Would you be such a good samaritan and take the attitude that you are trying to help people out? How about if it increased your price or possibly cost you the truck? After all, fair is fair. I'm sure you want the auction company to get the most out of the truck, even if it means that you won't get it. We all know what the answers to these questions are. You would tell as few people as possible (trying your best to keep the auction and truck a secret). There is no way you are going to turn people on to the trucks and auctions that interest you because, in the interest of self-preservation, you are going to do nothing except increase competion for the truck, probably increase the cost to yourself, and limit your chances of coming home with the truck you want. Trust me, I've been tempted to post info about trucks that I have no interest in acquiring for one reason (distance) or another (cost). However, if you are the guy watching that truck in Wyoming, and I point out to the list about this great truck that I have no interest in, you might be in for a serious and expensive bidding experience...and I'm sure you would not be pleased.

I find trucks all the time. Where do you think I've gotten all of my trucks? GL? GSA? A couple have come that way, but most come through other channels. Now, say I tell everyone on this list about a certain dealer, or a certain auction, etc. The first guy that wants a truck on that list will be lined up to bid against me. I can't understand why people can't see that. If you truly don't see this logic, then I can only hope that, in the future, you are eyeing a truck that someone else decides to advertise for you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my brief dissertation. I won't post info on any auctions in the public forum such as this. I think if anyone wants this stuff, they can dig around to find it themselves. Now if I find something that appeals to folks I know I'll bring it to their attention but privately. Just like the Indiana stuff, when that was posted I thought to myself "there goes that chance." Folks, just remember, we are a family here but there are loads of folks scouring our website just to find deals as such. I'll give you a brief example. A while back one of our members came across a cache of deuce aluminum troop seats. It was a pretty large lot and many members pooled there resources to try to divy up the seats to as many members as possible. Someone, member or not, got wind of the transcation and beat the lot of us to the food line and bought every last one of them. May have been enough for 20 members but since it went public, not a one of us has aluminum troop seats. The stuff was not advertised anywhere and the place was not a public place. The disclosure here cost a bunch of us some nice seats. We've even had folks post on here that they are bidding on a truck just so the membership would know. Now, a success story from posting just so you don't think I only see it one way. A while back someone posted about a V18A/MTQ and one of our members ended up winning that truck. In that case we saved a very collectible truck from it's possible demise. There's good both ways but, I for one, will not post these things on the public forum.

Armada

I don't like getting into debates, but Kenny's right, keep it private. Most of us Michigan members are in contact with each other, and we ALL watch the auctions. If there is something one guy really wants, he'll let the others know privately so we're not bidding against each other. We've all gotten 1008's, 1009's, M35's, trailers, etc., at a decent price. If nobody wants an item of interest, nothing will be 'advertised' except maybe privately to someone that may have an interest, because there will be somebody else bidding on it wanting a deal.

CGarbee

I just had this discussion on the phone with a buddy last night who saw several items in the last couple months that he was stalking get advertised by somebody on the forum who lived in a different state... It's happened to me as well...

I'm in full agreement with Bruce, Armada, and Kenny, on this....

citizensoldier

:ditto:
That's what the PM function is for guys! I have posted ebay items before because of location and I just want someone to save the truck. If we do it right we can keep some iron(history) from the crusher and keep some prices down. I try not to share GL or GSA stuff publicly it has bit me in the butt before. I'm watching you Kenny :p Ma still needs a work shop..
I also would like to comment about the tone and content of this post. Thank you guys for remaining calm and having a good down to earth debate without flaring tempers and bad words. This is how things like this should be discussed and I for one have enjoyed reading it. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks