• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for detailed pictures of level wind

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The cable feeds under the big roller, up through the tensioner, up over the level wind to the backside of drum.

The cable is held to the drum by 2 set screws, all this can be found in the -20

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yes if you do not want to cut/remove the chain clevis, which I would do before I pulled ALL the cable

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Does the cable have to taken off the drum completely in order to run it through the level wind?
To get it through the level wind, no. You can pull the bolts holding the cover thing off and lay the cable on the big pulley then put the cover back on. But to get it through the tensioner, yes unspool the cable or cut it like Ron said. If the cable needs grease anyway I would unspool it.

fasttruck

Proper winch cable has one strand of rope weaved into the steel to act as a wick. Luberication is accomplished by pouring motor oil over it with an absorbant pad on the ground to catch the run off. Chassis grease is not recommended as it attracts dirt and sand to adhere to the cable and damage it.

seano11

Well got my level wind in tonight kinda upset about the condition tho. From what I was told it was a complete level wind set up in perfect shape. Well most of the bearings are seized and its missing the cable guard for the top part of the wheel and all the mounting bolts for the tensioner.... blah guess I'll be on the phone with that company tomorrow morning

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I have not taken mine apart, is it bearings or bushings? A bushing you can just hone out a hair to clean it up then regrease and slap it back together. A bearing, well, you might luck out and be able to clean it up enough to get it moving again, but, if not, there should be a part number on the outside somewhere. I found the bearings I needed for the rear winch rollers on my M936 on ebay.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had to take mine apart, no big deal, clean up, grease, put back together

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A few things I would change on the rebuild
!--- on the trolley wheels, either drill and cross drill the FRONT bolts for a grease fitting or get a set of rear bolts for the front, the way it is now, the rears wheels get grease but at times the fronts fail to grease.

2--- on the tensioner REVERSE the passengers side pin so the grease fitting is on the front side, and drill and tap for a grease fitting the tensioner control shaft (plug the old fitting hole), this too will bring the grease fitting to the front side, where the fittings are NOW, on the BACKSIDE of the tensioner , the fittings get knocked off by a bad wound cable

The above mods in no way affect the operation, the NEW grease fitting are out of the way so can not be knocked off, just make servicing easier

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks