• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Graves Mountain Virginia rally - Labor Day weekend

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's that time again! Time to gather all the folks in the surrounding area for the 4th annual Graves Mountain rally in scenic Syria, VA! For those not familiar with where it is, Syria is about 75 miles SW of Washington, D.C. in the mountains of Madison County, VA.

There has been a lot of work at the site this spring, crews have cut approximately 20 MILES of new offroad trails, bringing the total amount of trails to about 40 MILES, suitable for everything from little jeeps to 5-tons in size! These are all privately owned trails, and the difficulty ranges from easy gravel roads to double-black-diamond for those who like a challenge! Also, all the trails have been GPS mapped and will be available on a printout so you can go out on your own (min 2 trucks together, please) and see all the new trails.

The scenery in the area is beautiful, the atmosphere is laid-back, and the people who come to the rally are great! We've had dozens of vehicles show up in the past and we are going to advertise heavily this time, we'd like more folks to show up, anyone who owns an MV is welcome, and for those who don't, older 4x4s are welcome as well (30 years or older for the vehicles).

Pets are welcome (on a leash), there is access to the lodge where you can eat and stay if camping out in the open is not your thing. The lodge has a swimming pool, access to a fishing pond, and horse trail rides if you're into horses as well. Showers are available too. Cost of admission includes a big dinner Saturday, and access to all that the lodge has to offer. This year we're going to have some more contests as well.

I have attached the event flyer and the signup form. The website for the rally is

http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com/

The website has more information on the schedule, the rules, photos from past events, info on the T-shirts, and more. There are no limits to the number of attendees, we have plenty of field for the camping.

SO - Sign up now, the event will be here before we know it! I'll keep adding more info as we get closer to the event.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on being there again with my (almost) Strata Blue rice burner and some green radios. I've also got some GMRS radios that I could bring for use out on the trails, between vehicles.

MDSA

Don't we know WESTERN NC style BBQ is better?? Why is VA importing rotgut from the east coast of NC?

Very interested in attending. Also planning to attend the GA rally with a buddy from work. Not sure if both will fit this year.

CGarbee

Don't we know WESTERN NC style BBQ is better?? Why is VA importing rotgut from the east coast of NC?

Very interested in attending. Also planning to attend the GA rally with a buddy from work. Not sure if both will fit this year.
Simple, I prefer Eastern NC Style since I live in Raleigh... It's what I grew up on in Central VA and continued to eat when I moved to NC... :)

Funny thing, I cooked for a coworker's retirement party last fall in Asheville, and I still hear how much folks liked it and how much better they thought is was then the local stuff (Asheville must be leaning towards TN...) :) Either that, or they are being polite or just liked having something different...

If you come, I'll be happy to give you a jug of my WESTERN NC BBQ sauce so that you can top dress your plate...

That's one of the fun things about BBQ in NC, we can debate Eastern vs Western while stuffing our faces...

CGarbee

We will definitely be there again (attended in 2010).

Could I possibly get a GPS track file to load to my GPS??
Not sure that we will be at that point by the time the rally is held... We (ok, the dude in Steve and Laura's Jeep club who does this for a living) are working on getting all the trails GPS'ed and mapped with the trailes put on a map. Then, I want to put a copy of the map on the website with printed copies at the stable for the horse crowd to use year round, and at the rally HQ for us to look at.
For that matter, considering the terrain, once you get on a trail, you really don't need a track map to follow it, but you do need to have some waypoints/signage to help you decide where to go at some trail intersections (some is signed better than others...).

As you can tell, GPS use is a bit new to me... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks