• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 Project...Done...

TedG

Hi Everyone,

Well in December, I went looking for a 5 ton M813 and then a CDN 101 trailer and found a dismantled M38! I thought I would post pictures of this unexpected restoration. Since the previous owner passed away, there was not asking what had or had not been done. What nuts, bolts and parts there are were scatter throughout his garage. Anyway, of all my mv's I have restored, this is the cleanest one. Anyway, I will try to post pictures for the next couple of months on the progress.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M38 Project

Cool! I for one, am looking forward to watching your project progress. Good luck and please do post as you go. :p

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M38 Project

A M38 would be my next MV, love the flatfender look! Was looking at WW2 jeeps and would rather have the M38 with it's many updates.

Dennis

Last edited:

TedG

I will try to post a few times a month on the progress. Once I got the M38 home, I stopped by a friends place and picked up his wrecked and quite rusted M38 for a donor vehicle (I traded a M series engine generator and M series single pin jumper cables with caps and 2 pin adapters...good trade!). It looks bad but it has a lot of hard to find parts plus the correct bolts/hardware.

Regards,

Attachments

CGarbee

Great looking project! I got my first M38 while hunting for a Mule (M274), and then got a second one (from Rod) for a buddy (he is working on my house, I am working on his ride...). Finally got a Mule this past fall...
I really like my M38: the flatfender look with the 24 volt M series electrical system that matches the rest of the fleet in my yard...

It's also great to see Rod here, as his collection and knowledge about the M38 is impressive... :)

TedG

Thanks for the replys. This is a fun project!

CGarbee,
I sent you pics of my R2 crash truck...did you get them? If not pm me.

Regarding this M38...look at the front brake plates...M38A1's (still a Dana 25). Those have to get replaced plus the thrust block in rear differential and of course pinion seals. So far, all 4 U shackles and 4 pivot bushings, all tie rod ends, and bell crank bearing assembly have been replaced. Once axels and brake internals are finished, then the frame gets attention!

Regards,

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man that red M38 looks like it needs a lot o TLC. I'll give the MB/M38/M38A1 fans one thing - spare parts are no problem. You can practically build a new jeep with the spare parts available for these little buggers!

TedG

Hi Chuck, your rants (advice) are definately NOT wasted! I stumbled into these M38's and I had to do it! It is the only army jeep style I have not restored...once this is done, then the search continues for a 5 tonner!

The red M38 is not a fixer upper...it is a parts rig.

My care package from Army Jeep Parts arrived so now the real work begins!

ida34

I would love to have an M-38 but that looks like more of a project than I could take on right now. I have been trying to rebuild and install the winch on my truck for about 8 months and can't even get that done. To much other stuff getting in the way.

TedG

Well, inbetween working and playing with this M38, I finally have gotten around to getting the running gear primed and painted. This is a nice frame with zero rust! Both axels have been reworked as well as the tranny and transfercase. Replace head gasket, rebuilt carb, new rear exhaust stud, rebuilt fuel pump and painted. Once the paint dries enough I set everything in the frame and have a running carriageless vehicle!

Regards,

Attachments

TedG

Hi Everyone,

I set the engine/transmission/trasfercase/drive shafts and radiator. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump, and complete ignition system. Then I fired her up with fresh gasoline! It sure is fun to bring one back to life! To top it off, it was a nice Sunday here in Mid-Michigan so I fired up the HMMWV and took my wife out for drive on the property! What a day!

Now on to the body work...and warmer temps!

Attachments

TedG

Hi Everyone,

I just replaced my M38 driver's side floor which I obtained from Midwest Military. It fit like a glove and only took 3 hours from removal of old and setting in of new. Then welding took another hour or so. I highly recommend their floor and for the price, you cannot replicate it! Once welded in, you need to do nothing, all holes are where they should be, including the hidden nut! :D :D :D

Anyway, I am one happy restorer!

Pictures to follow!

CGarbee

I haven't used any of John's repair panels (yet), so it's good to hear that they are up to par (not that I would have thought otherwise given the quality of his other parts...). I just got a package from him last night with my doors and skins for my M38, along with a bunch of small parts. Great service, quality, and prices....

You are making me want to get the body off mine...

Great job!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks nice, Ted.

How'd you strip and prep the frame, axles, suspension, etc., for paint and primer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks