• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Safety 14x20

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little word about tires.
We pickup my M931A1 Nellis ATB, NV about three weeks ago. When we got to the truck it had a right front flat tire. We aired it up and it looked fine and had not been driven on flat. It was a new looking Michelin. So we headed for home, made it home ok!!

Last week I took the wheel off the truck to replace the o-ring, I could tell it was linking.
When I looked in the tire I about lost my lunch!! The tire was coming apart inside.
It looks like just the inter liner, but still coming apart.

So if you get to a truck with a flat change it or put in on the back at least.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The trucks with CTIS are notorious for tires going flat and staying that way for extended periods.

Inflating them will sometimes show cracks....sometimes not......I have one on the rear of the M927 that is suspect.....it leaks down over a period of days even with the CTIS hooked up. I have also noticed a bad wear pattern on it so it will go on the spare rack as soon as I get a replacement.

I was told the sidewalls on these tires are damaged when left flat on a truck for even a short period of time.

The CTIS was designed by an idiot after consulting with a comittee of morons.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your CTIS leak is most likely due to an O-ring failure. I have several M939A2s and have had several that had tires that leaked down over the years. All stopped leaking down once the O-rings were replaced. I just went through this on an M928A2 that has working CTIS. I suppose the CTIS valve could also be leaking...but a little water and dishwashing soap will reveal that. Heck, you can check your O-rings that way, too. Slosh it around on the outside of the rim and look to see if you see soap bubbles. This method has always worked for me.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your CTIS leak is most likely due to an O-ring failure. I have several M939A2s and have had several that had tires that leaked down over the years. All stopped leaking down once the O-rings were replaced. I just went through this on an M928A2 that has working CTIS. I suppose the CTIS valve could also be leaking...but a little water and dishwashing soap will reveal that. Heck, you can check your O-rings that way, too. Slosh it around on the outside of the rim and look to see if you see soap bubbles. This method has always worked for me.
That is how I found the O-ring leak on the wheel, with a little soap.
The truck we pickup up did not have the CTIS on it.

flyxpl

That is why all the A3's at GL with flat tires bring the least amount of money . Most of us that have been doing this a while would have put a different tire on the truck as soon as we got out of the gate , especially being a steer tire . . You learned a valuable lesson and got lucky .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks