• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone here have a lathe?

Gunfreak25

I am looking for a guy with a lathe who can machine extra piston ring grooves on my York 210 compressor piston's. I would supply the ring's of course. This is for my M211 project. Pistons are around 2" in diameter and are aluminum.

Course I never thought to check how much my local NAPA would charge for something like this.

Kaiserjeeps

I have a couple questions for you.

Are you in a hurry?
Can you provide all dimensions, depth of cut, width of cut, chamfers if needed?

If I am duplicating a ring groove than I need to make sure my measurement tools will fit.

I have this older JET 10X24 that has been great. I have been bringing it back to life after being stored in a open carport for a winter season:shock:. I just repaired some moving damage and powered it up with a long power cord and it works. I have to possibly get some new tooling for it which is why I asked if you are in a hurry.
If someone else is set up for this and responds great. If not then send the piston to me and we will get it taken care of for you.

I will chuck it up, check run out and make the cut.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Let me go pickup the socket I need today to get the rods out of the York 210 crankcase. Then I can mark them for orientation, remove the pistons, rings and take some measurements. You would be duplicating the existing ring groove.

There's another guy I found on Youtube who said he'll do it for me too. I'm in no rush on anything!

What kind of $ we looking at for this work? :beer:

Kaiserjeeps

It looks like the narrowest cut I could make is .095 with the older style tooling I have. And I was wondering about my calipers being able to fit inside the ring grove for a good measure. A quick check on how thick the caliper jaws are shows .145
I have some other stuff that can get in there. So I can do it as long as the ring groove is not super narrow.

A pile of feeler gauges would give you a rough idea.

My lathe was a gift from a friends dad in Seattle. He was moving out of country and gave me the lathe on his way out. It has been great for making clutch parts for my CJ, a commando thats here right now, and Fishermans M715 when he adapted a buick 350 in place of the 230. No charge is what I am saying. I can't speak for Crazywelder, but I have had a lot of help from friends and it's good to pass on. It's all in good fun. Just take care of all the shipping. Between Crazywelder or I we will get it done.:)

Cool project!

Last edited:

crazywelder72

you should see this setup I got in my bridgeport tonight... Talk about a a pain in the butt . Stupid axel shaft for a 68 mustang??? Has taken over 2 hrs just to mock it up and modify tooling to do the job. I still have to shim my vice about 3" off the table...

:drool:

Attachments

ODdave

So I can only assume the piston was not cast for the additional ring grove right? How well do you suppose it will last with a giant slit cut all the way around it? Piston crown pop off? skirt fracture and break? What is the reason for the ring?

Just curious?

Gunfreak25

These are AC compressors where the system is normally recirculatory so blowby is not a problem. TO get around this, all the guys using them as on board air units are using coalescing filers to capture the oil, venting the crankcase to reduce pressure, plugging oil galley's, etc.

None of it has shown to reduce oil discharge to any real degree. So I went straight to CCI who manufacturers the York's. They told me most Yorks discharge 1oz oil per hour of use. They sell replacement pistons that have 2nd oil control rings added, which they said reduces discharge to 1 oz per 50 hours. But they want $500 for it......

I love improving things and I just thought if It could be done without selling my testicles It would be the bees knees to have a York with dual ringed pistons.

I'll get some measurements posted when I get the pistons out, kind of busy right now. The bores are 1 7/8 and I found a place that sells 1 7/8 oil control rings for small engines and compressors. Only $10 per ring, but you brought up a point on if there is enough meat on the piston to even install additional rings. Will have to check on this.

Offering to do the machine work free is humbling indeed, this is not the 1st time I have found great people on SS. Tell you what guy's, whoever ends up doing it will get 1 free stock refinishing job. Always happy to exchange services! Tom's Stocksmithing

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a lathe but don't know how to use it. You wouldn't want me doing it. :shock:

I installed a York on a air braked forklift that the stock compressor played out on. I haven't noticed the oil consumption you speak of. There is a little but it doesn't seem anywhere near 1oz per hr.

They've got to be crazy wanting $500 for a two ring piston. You can buy a pretty nice purpose made unit for that price.

crazywelder72

2 questions for you... first, what is a york?

Second, do you know anyone that wants to buy a competition shotgun?

BTW... that was a cool offer about refinishing a stock. I dont need it, but its a nice offer of Thanks..

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 questions for you... first, what is a york?

Second, do you know anyone that wants to buy a competition shotgun?

BTW... that was a cool offer about refinishing a stock. I dont need it, but its a nice offer of Thanks..
I can answer the first question. He's talking about a York AC compressor. A lot of people are modifying them into air compressors to use for on-board air on a vehicle.

Gunfreak25

York is a brand for a line of AC compressors off many 80's Volvo cars and 60's Mustang's as well as other Ford's.

spicergear

Better double check the location of the added oil control ring. Usually oil control rings are lower in the skirting...not at the top where there would be a better chance of more material like a compression ring.

Yorks were on everything through the years... :mrgreen:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple questions for you.
If I am duplicating a ring groove than I need to make sure my measurement tools will fit.
Not sure if this has been resolved but if greater than vernier calliper accuracy is needed to measure a narrow 'depth', then just add/subtract the ring - a new or old even broken ring can be used with a micrometer as the slot is cut.

Hope this is not a "derr" statement - just trying to throw in a tip that has helped me in the past.

Kaiserjeeps

Does this york comp replace the existing air comp? or is this a secondary air system? I am just trying to better understand..... (or learn)[/QUOTE

The Yorks used for onboard air no longer provide AC function. Being a jeeper lots of my friends have converted a york to OBA. Add a tank, pressure switch and most importantly a pressure relief valve with some fittings and you have on board air. Granted oily air. I use a Viair hard mounted compressor in my CJ as fitting a york on top of my buick V-6 looked like to much work. There are lots of great how to articles on OBA. But once a york is converted to OBA the freon or R-12 is long gone and the york just pumps outside air.

Nice mill there CW!

Zebedee, No sweat! All input is great. There are several ways to measure it. And yes we need to make sure the piston can handle the machining without creating a potential failure. I wonder if this 500 dollar piston is cast differently?

Still waiting to see who the lucky machinst is... As long as the grove is not less than .095 I could do it.

I need to drop about 500 bones on new tooling. My old stuff works, but the newer quick change stuff is the shizzle. Six sided cutting bits etc. Gonna have to wait on that one.

Standing by...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks