• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M172a1

jmlloar

Looking for a set of ramps for a m172a1 project.
Also possibly an axle hub to hub.

Will be getting rid of the 11.00x15s if anyone needs some. I have all including spare. Will be replacing with smaller tires to clear the narrowed deck.
Got ramps. Let me know

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Most people that narrow the 172's cut away the channel outboard of the tires, the outer measurement of the tires is 102 1/2. Close enough. You need to run an ad in the classifieds to sell the tires, you have to pay for a premium membership (worth it). There are no axles for these for sale anywhere.

Another workaround for the overwidth issue is just to permit it every time you use it. With the online systems most state DOT's have now, it is no big deal. A one trip permit costs me $20 and I have it emailed to me same day. Might be easier than all the work to cut the trailer down.

Last edited:

pilot

We had 3 M172A1 trailers, 2 with 10x15 tires and 1 with 11x15 tires found 2 different wheel widths. One we will leave the 10.15s on but have a set of 8.25x15s we might try if they will fit on the wheels. Also have extra ramps but they are really heavy and have considered making a copy with aluminum. Have not found any parts trailers so can not help you with axles.

jmlloar

Ramps is my main concern at the moment. Might just swap out the complete suspension with something with springs or air bags. I have pleanty of slide axles from box trailers just need hubs and drums for smaller wheels.

jmlloar

Welcome to the site. Most people that narrow the 172's cut away the channel outboard of the tires, the outer measurement of the tires is 102 1/2. Close enough.
Just got done with the tape measure. The only close to 102 1/2 is from outside of tread to outside of tread. Correct measurement is at widest point (sidewall) and its 106. Which is no where near close enough.

Trailer is in incredible shape but completely useless to me as is. It lost a wheel last time it was used and they pulled axle to limp it back. And they stripped everything from the axle and nothing is there. Missplaced? No bolts or brakes or hubs. Just a bare axle tube strapped to the deck and the wheels and tires. Rest of trailer could pass for being a few years old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks