• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-250E (extended) on a M1102 trailer

JBT

Has anyone ever mounted a S-250E (extended) communications shelter on a M1102 trailer?

The S-250E is the extended version. It is 103" long as compared to 87" for the S-250.
It should fit on the M1102 trailer as it should fit through the tailgate opening and hang out over the tailgate.

I just bought a S-250E at Fort Meade. It is part of the AN/TSQ-154 Management Facility.

Attachments

Last edited:

JBT

How would the extra weight in the rear affect the trailer's balance? You might need to put some weight up front to keep the tongue weight right.
Yes, I thought about that.
I am going to clean out all of the extra electrical gear inside.
In the back though, the only thing is the electrical panel.

It has a hole in the front for an air conditioner. The correct army ac unit, 9k btu, weighs 197 lbs.
That would help a lot with the balance.
I am looking for one on GL. Hopefully, the ones they list will work without any repairs needed. They said that the freon has been removed.
The S-250E has the ductwork installed to match the ac unit. That would make mounting it easier than a cheap 5k btu commercial unit I already have.
I thought a 9k btu unit would be too large, but I read a study the army did where it took 7k btu/hr to keep the interior at 90 F with a an outside temp of 120 F and 2 people inside and no equipment on.

Attachments

JBT

Evidently, the military pulled the units back after the sale. I am supposed to get details on this from Gov Liquidation.
Has this ever happened to anyone?

DavidB

I have one mounted in a 101a3 ,and with the tailgate reversed it will close. The unit balances out nicely with the AC on it. If the pictured one is yours you may also want the air conditioner bracket for the front.
DavidB

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Evidently, the military pulled the units back after the sale. I am supposed to get details on this from Gov Liquidation.
Has this ever happened to anyone?
Are you saying you bought the S-250E and the government wants it back..?

JBT

Are you saying you bought the S-250E and the government wants it back..?
Yes. The sale was placed on a restrictive hold, after I had won. I contacted GL after a few days, GL got back to me and asked if I still wanted the item, saying it might be 90 days before it was resolved.
I replied, yes, I still wanted it, and the next day they released the hold.

I picked up the shelter last week. When I was there I asked them what the hold was all about. They said that someone thought that some of the equipment should not be released to civilians. Made no sense to me.

I had the sling for the rings on top and they used a fork lift to place it on the trailer.
I used some ratcheting straps to tie it down.
It towed fine as long as I kept the speed below 65.

Lengthwise, it fits fine on the trailer, but the m1102 trailer is too wide. There is a gap between the wheel wells that I will have to block up with some 4x4s. There is also a gap between the bed rails that debris will fall into. I have to find away to move it onto my full size pickup bed. I saw where someone mounted happy jacks on the corners of his S-250.

I passed on the a/c units on GL that fit as they were in San Antonio, and I was worried about the shipping cost to VA.

Where would one get the brackets for the a/c unit?
I have some scrap aluminum plate, I could make the brackets if I had the design.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks