• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proud New Owner....now what???

Hey guys, Im a proud new owner :beer:of a 1985 AMC M35A2, but the only problem is im not sure where i go from here. Im new to the whole world of owning one of these in the civilian world and i am clueless:-?. I dont know any of my local laws on these things, where i can get parts( except for what i can find from heavy truck parts shops that i have worked with) and what i can do for insurance. I could really use some adivce here and hopefully be able to find some local folksand organizations. HELP!! :neutral:

Stan

The manuals for your truck are available here. Start reading the deuce forums, and most of your questions have been covered. Crawl over and under the truck and see what you've got. Have fun.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats and welcome to the Madness.

Usually it is better to study your subject before you dive in head first. That didn't happen so let's work with what we have.

DO NOT DRIVE the truck until you check the brakes and become familar with the systems.

The first step is to download the Technical Manuals. Start with the TM 9-2320-361-10 Operators Manual.

TM 9-2320-361-10

It will tell you the basics of how to operate your truck.

Second. Ask yourself what you want to do with the truck. That will dictate what type of insurance you will want. There is everything from cheap "parade" coverage all the way to commercial.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered countless times. ADVANCED Search will become your new best friend.

Start reading the Deuce Wiki, any stickies and then search for the subject you are looking for.

Third. What are your mechanical skills and will you do the work or have someone else do it. There are few shops that will work on Deuces. And you don't want to pay them to learn. You may not have the skill set but you can learn it very quickly.

Oh and I almost forgot.......

nopics

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welome to the OD addiction. Plenty of useful info on here for you. Use the search feature to look for suppliers in your area for parts or Im sure you can find whatever you need on here. Plenty of threads on here about insurance so you should find your answer for that to. Time to read read read. :beer:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered countless times. Search will become your new best friend.

WH,

I'm going to have to have ONE minor disagreement with you - NOT THE SEARCH FEATURE, but the ADVANCED SEARCH feature should become his new best friend.

It has been shown over and over again that a regular search can and often does miss all sorts of things that are actually pertinent to a specific topic...

I don't know why and it's NOT a complaint, but so many noobs come on and do a search (or three) and then start asking all sorts of questions that HAVE been asked/answered what, a bazillion times?

BUT if you use the advanced search feature, your chances of finding what you are looking for go WAY up

again, not a complaint and NOT dissing WH, but anyone who's been here for a while eventually figures it out, but why don't we cut the learning curve a wee bit?

197thhhc

Welcome to the site. The first thing you should do is a complete inspection of all parts of the truck. These trucks are old and always need some repair. If you need parts or info feel free to PM me anytime. I give discounts off of my ebay store prices to Steel soldiers members

m816

Welcome to the world of green. This addiction will get worse. Soon you will need more than one vehicle . Don't be afraid, just keep buying them. I no longer have to cut the grass in my back yard. It is full fo green machines. There is no cure:beer:

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Important stuff

IMHO-

Most important - Stop (brakes) remember single circuit brakes, one leak-no stop! Including air and hydraulic systems and don't forget parking brake.

Next - Steering, for obvious reasons

Next - suspension (affects stop and steer) including axle alignment, if it breaks you could roll right off the road or over the Subaru next to you!

Next - motor, trans etc. mounts, drivelines

Dead last - stuff to make it go!

Well i do appreciate the help and the advice it does show that y'all are willing to help so thank you! Maybe i should have mentioned that i do have a mechanical background and am in the national guard. Lol. At any rate I'll search to find my answers and if i can't I'll post and ask and maybe find some folks close by.... will posting pics soon, right after i fix an air leak:D thank y'all!

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another good idea is look for a MVPA or Steel Soldiers group gathering in your area. Take a day or two to visit with other owners. You will probably find someone who will help get you up to date on safety, maintenance and other stuff you need to know. Also a good place to source parts and vendors. Best Wishes.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guys here have covered most of the SAFETY and drivability sides to you new truck (congratulations) After you have covered this stuff and after you learn what these trucks are capable of then you need to take a look at what YOU WANT THIS TRUCK TO BE. Do you want to restore it, is it going to be used for work? All these questions can only be answered by you and that is really where the serious fun begins! You have a great truck to start with and you found this site, honestly let your adventures begin of course BE SAFE in whatever you do with your new MV! Good luck an dhave fun!
KK

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Usually it is better to study your subject before you dive in head first. That didn't happen so let's work with what we have.

DO NOT DRIVE the truck until you check the brakes and become familiar with the systems.

The first step is to download the Technical Manuals. Start with the TM 9-2320-361-10 Operators Manual.

TM 9-2320-361-10

It will tell you the basics of how to operate your truck.

Second. Ask yourself what you want to do with the truck. That will dictate what type of insurance you will want. There is everything from cheap "parade" coverage all the way to commercial.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered countless times. ADVANCED Search will become your new best friend.

Start reading the Deuce Wiki, any stickies and then search for the subject you are looking for.

Third. What are your mechanical skills and will you do the work or have someone else do it. There are few shops that will work on Deuces. And you don't want to pay them to learn. You may not have the skill set but you can learn it very quickly. Oh and I almost forgot.......

nopics
Warthog,

Thanks for the post. Not many people will go to the great lengths you do for the noob. My hats off to ya man..!

IGD

searls84

Well i do appreciate the help and the advice it does show that y'all are willing to help so thank you! Maybe i should have mentioned that i do have a mechanical background and am in the national guard. Lol. At any rate I'll search to find my answers and if i can't I'll post and ask and maybe find some folks close by.... will posting pics soon, right after i fix an air leak:D thank y'all!
I live about 5 miles north of Cruces in Dona Ana. I got an M35a2c and an M923. I got quite a few spare parts and such. You ever need a hand working on the truck or locating parts or just want to go for a cruise let me know.

Powell

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks