• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thunder over Michigan Disappointment

ida34

I just got an email from the organizers of Thunder Over Michigan. After a great reenactment, MV display, and WWII encampment in 2006 the airport has basically kicked it all off the airport. All of the above will be moved off the airport to the Wayne County Fairgrounds. They will offer a shuttle bus over to the show and back for both reenactors and the general public. I have enjoyed this event for the past several years and last year was the first time I could contribute by putting my deuce on display. I think it all stems from the airport not wanting to allow weapons on property. This also means there will be no flyovers by the warbirds during the reenactment. The fairgrounds are in the flight pattern so we will still be able to see the aircraft flying. Another knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem. I guess Al-Quada is dressing in WWII uniforms now to infiltrate airports.

citizensoldier

They were not there last year? Do they come every other year? Why would they care have they had problems? I know Selfredge has had problems and you dont here it on the news. They sit just off the biggest Arab community in the US... I showed up there the day after a incedent but thats a long story..Scary stuff. Maybe thats why? because that airfield is not very far from there either..

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
ojsdna744 said:
I've followed this debate rather closely, I think you have The Blue Angels to blame for being "booted" off the airport. :roll:
That is my take as well. The Blue Angels hopefully however will prove to be a big "draw" from the community. The profits from the show go to Yankee Air Museum, who have always needed the money - moreso after the fire of a few years ago.

We had some of the warbird pilots over playing with the tanks - from talking with them, there is no jealousy or ego issues with the private owners.

Regardless of this change of venue, I'm sure that both the airshow and the battle display will be great successes.

Regards,
David Doyle

ida34

I just worry about the hassle factor of the general public having to plan ahead enough to load up on a shuttle bus to get to the reenactment on time. We are not talking about walking distance by any means unless you are into road marches. I think the guys running the show are worried about it. They seemed to place the blame on the airport manager. I don't think the Blue Angles have anything to do it based on the comment that was made about hoping the airport manager gets with the program next year. I really only know what I have been told by email and am in no way an insider so someone else may have more insight.

citizensoldier

Those P47's and Mustang added alot to the show.. The one P47 pilot had big cahoonas and brought that baby in low.. One of the re-enactors stated he didnt need to get a german hair cut the P47 would have done it for him if he stood up.. Or atleast thats how it felt... Cool show.. I hope to go every year..

ida34

RE: some pics from the show..

One good thing is they are talking about doing a later reenactment after the show closes to catch the people leaving the show at 5pm. Looking at my earlier posts I realized they may not be giving the right impression. This event is great and will be great this year also. The camping area sounds like it will offer more flexibility for the reenactors and MV people. My biggest concern is that the general public will get confused. The general public needs things simple. My profession teaches me this everyday and I hope I am wrong and everything goes off smoothly. We probably will have more flexibility with the Pyro too. I initially posted so maybe we could let the airport manager how we feel but that probably would not help. Anyway I am attending and hope everyone here that can will attend also. There are lots of vendors and a lot of reenactors encampments to look all the equipment, uniforms, and vehicles. Better than any museum for sure. In fact, I am sending out my participant paperwork later today.

ida34

RE: some pics from the show..

To all. I know I stired the pot but do not contact the airport management about the situation. Some seems to have done so and it seems to be causing problems instead of helping the cause.

Go and enjoy the show to support the rebuild of the Yankee Airforce facility.

ojsdna744

Re: RE: some pics from the show..

ida34 said:
I know I stired the pot but do not contact the airport management about the situation.
Those poor guys, they just went through all the blasting from all the re-enactors about two months ago. :roll: Hopefully no damage was done, we don't need any more roadblocks for next year.

11ACR-LT

RE: Re: RE: some pics from the show..

It is my understanding that the Blue Angels security requierments are the reason for the move, the Angels are using the static display area and the area where the encampment was last year for there secure zone.
The planners have had some complaints, but lets all remember that they are on our side and have to abide by what the airport authority says. Hopfully next year we can be back on the grounds.( lets not boycott this event because of this move, things happen) I've always had a great time at this show and hope to continue, I'll be there.

ida34

Curt,
I was asked if I was a GLMVPA member. I am sure you already know, but they told me they are considering parking all of us in the GLMVPA together. Sounds like a good idea to me. When the day gets closer we need to coordinate so we will know each other by sight since most of us do not know the others by sight.

Chuck

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I'll be the guy wandering around in a Military Vehicles Magazine golf shirt with a camera in my hand - although there is a chance that two of us will be there meeting that description. I'm encouraging the editor to drop by as well.

See ya'll there!

David

rmgill

Reading's airshow doesn't have any issues with scads of re-enactors walking around the airfield armed. I'd love to see a terrorist event. You'd see so many people fixing bayonets and charging the terrorists or running them down with jeeps and halftracks.

11ACR-LT

Chuck,
Sounds good, last year I planned a convoy from the I94/26 mile area to Willow Run, I'd like to do it again this year, We can start working on it when the time comes.
Curt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks