• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back to square one on the MKT

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I did FINALLY get both trailers (MKT & MEP) registered in Texas as FMV's with bumper numbers.

I had to jump through a couple extra hoops (certified weight & VIN inspection) and in the process stopped by North Texas trailers and showed them my MKT-75A.

The reason for the stop was so they could find out what was involved to swap the backing plates and everything else so I could have smaller 16" eight lug wheels instead of the six lug 20" deuce wheels.

I had spoken with them several times and they told me it would be WAY cheaper to swap the hardware rather than swap in a new axle. Well, a new axle cost was $1600 for a 5 ton axle with electric brakes. The cost of the swap? $2500!

And NEITHER of those figures includes removal of the old axle and install of the new axle.

SOOO, I'm back to square one. I may just swap on some six lug budd wheels, so at LEAST I could have a spare.

Check out my BUMPER NUMBERS!

View attachment 335212

View attachment 335213

I know, I know - NO CREATIVITY AT ALL. but at least you KNOW what they are... Or I do.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bumper bumpers are incorrect - the 99th ID was active from only 1942-45. In more recent years it is the 99th Regional Support Command, based at Ft. Dix/Lakehurst Air Base.

Nice trailers!

rickf

I am in no way an expert on these things but isn't an MKT too heavy for 16 inch tires? If I remember correctly a load range E tire is good for maybe 3200 lbs. max.. That would be 6000lb. total, I thought they were heavier than that.

Rick

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My MKT weighs 3880 as she sits right now. That did not include the MBU's and three beverage dispensers, four food transport containers, and the floor mat.

So 6k lbs is PLENTY of room. I will NEVER load this puppy up with much more than that. Extra 'stuff' will go into the back of the M1028A2 dually if necessary.

And maddawg308, S&C is absolutely correct (thx jj). I honor my father who WAS 99th ID during WWII. Battle of the Bulge (Elsenborn Ridge) and Remagen Bridge, then wounded and his war was over, with two bronze stars and two purple hearts. He's my hero and I strive daily to measure up to his standards. It's a tall order for sure but IF I'm half the man he is, I'm happy.

View attachment 335218

Here we are getting ready to go to the 2010 Veterans Day Parade in Denver. He's MY HERO. Always has been. His story is but one in this book about the 99th ID.

Amazon.com: Once Upon a Time in War: The 99th Division in World War II (Campaigns and Commanders) (9780806139463): Robert E. Humphrey: Books

I'm sure you've heard there are no 'atheists' in foxholes. And I'm sure a lot of guys said, "God, just bring me home alive and I'll be the best man I can be."

Well my Dad told me once he made that promise. And HE KEPT IT. No kinder, gentler man has walked this earth than my dad. He has not touched a gun until after I graduated gunsmithing school, then at my request fired one of my rifles. HE'S STILL A GREAT SHOT, and he was well past 80 when we went to the range.

And I've had an active duty Army in my home several times. Capt Doody is currently moving from Ft. Sill to Ft Hood. He told me he WAS IN the 99th RSC. Even pulled up some pix of him with the checkerboard patch. And at the Mesquite Air show I met a guy who ASKED about my bumper numbers. HIS DAD was also in the 99th ID, 393rd Lima Company.

So yes, I'm very familiar with the 99th ID.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks