• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2 upgrades

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I didn't see too many other threads that this would apply to so here is one the masses can add to.

I love my 101 trailers, but the beds are made of flimsy sheet and they don't have any where to strap/tie shi..uhm, stuff to. I decided that the E-track I took out of my M109 should fit the bill pretty good. I cut one of the 10ft sticks in half and put a 5ft piece on either side. I had some 1x2inch tube that fit perfectly under the bed rails. The top of the E-track got screwed through the bed into that tube and it stiffened the bed up considerably.

Also, I use the bolts that keep the bed from dumping as an anchor point for my come-along when hoisting heavy stuff into the bed. I have seen the bed front flex a lot. I decided that 6ft stick of 2x2 aluminum thick wall tube should fit the bill pretty good, so I cut it down to shape and jammed it up in there.

Next I cut down the 3 E-track bars to 60 inches to fit in the smaller bed of the 101. Works pretty good! Now I have dual level storage/packing ability. Might even be able to pack stuff under and have a make-shift bed on top for traveling.

I need to find some cheap tube to put on the bottom screws that fasten the E-track to the bed walls. I have some 3/4x3/4 aluminum, but ti doesn't span the bed ribs. I would like something that fits in there and looks decent.

I will get pics tomorrow, it was dark by the time I was done, and still had to clean up.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I use the bolts that keep the bed from dumping as an anchor point for my come-along when hoisting heavy stuff into the bed. I have seen the bed front flex a lot. I decided that 6ft stick of 2x2 aluminum thick wall tube should fit the bill pretty good, so I cut it down to shape and jammed it up in there.
Good ideas throughout, but on attaching your come-along, why don't you go up to the hitch to attach it, in that area, rather then the bolts. then there is less down pressure from the line, and little or none, pulling backward on the front panel. With this in mind, I will re-enforce the top[ of the front panel. Usually, I have some way to load stuff, but there are alway times that one must improvise.

Of all the MV stuff I have, the 101's are always a pleasure to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some other "upgrades", like tongue ornaments, and such. When i can, I pull the trailer with the front and rear side boards folded around, as it cuts wind resistance. For the front, I made a small hook bracket to support it, when in transit & storage. I got tired of the cotter pins and used small lynch pins, usually availiable at farm stores and implement companies. Inside the box, I have eye nuts for tie downs. Otherwise, side lights and mud flaps, to bring it up to code in this State. The lights are all LED. Distances are too great here, to go without a spare.

Attachments

ChrisABQ07

Gimpyrobb - I like what you've done with your improvements.

rosco -- How did you attach the angle iron for the mud flaps? Weld or bolt-on?

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

Great ideas, I've been thinking of mud laps also. I like the way they look. My m101a1 is my favorite trailer. My 17 year old uses it to haul his mowers around when he does his couple lawns. He gets alot of looks from the professional south of the border lawn guys.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've aquired a set of tool boxes from an M105 Carpenter Tool trailer to install in my M101A2. They'll be mounted forward of the wheel wells. Photos to follow once installed.

two.fiveM35

I liked the look of the M37 wheels on my A1 but the trailer sat a little to high, so I replaced them sold rims with smaller tires. Now if I get a flat, I should be able to get it repaired easier too.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks