• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule with alternator and water

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find another way to get there... If the alt is going to get drenched, so will alot of other important things like the magneto..

Skeeter

The alternators I have seen hang about a foot below the blower fan, a good distance below the mag.
The mag should be water proof along with the water shielded plug wires, are they not.
As long as air intake stays above water, all else I thought would be water safe.

6x6guy

I like to play in the mud- on several occasions I have had my mule in the mud up to and just
below the front baskets at Knob Creeks lower parking lot area, I don't go around - just through the mud, and the riders love it.
I installed a Delco Remy 160 amp alternater on it, after every run through the mud and water,
I check the belt for function and operation - even though the alternater has been fully been
submerged in the soup- and after a while it ejects the substance from within and the remainder
just dries up.
The first time I was realy concerned about the affects and what might happen - just check it every time you play in the mud with it. :roll:

crankshaft45

I have encountered deep water that I later realized put the alt. under water. No problems, it still works great. If you stop to think about it, when you drive your car or truck in a heavy rain storm the fan is blowing water directly on the alt. with no adverse effects. They are quite water friendly.

Charlie

If you are going to run it in deep water, be sure you drain the right frame tube when you get done. Water can enter through the holes where the seat stowage clamps pass through the frame tube, but you must pull the plug at the rear of the tube to drain the water out. If you don't get the water out, the frame tube will rust from the inside-out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks