• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolster Trailer Recover & Use

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late last winter, I won a bolster trailer at Elmendorf/Richardson. The Recovery was about standard. It was 0F in early March, one axle didn't have brakes, the lights worked, three tires were very low, and two were off the rims. I was able to re-seat the two with starting fluid and aired them with a hose from the truck. I still used my light bar, in conjunction with the bolsters lights, as my light bar has clearance lights. I had to go through a scale - no hassle. The trip home was boringly, uneventful, just the way I like them. Medusa ran perfect & the new fuel heater was a dream, as I hit some -20F crossing the Alaska Range. The round trip was right on 800 miles.

Once home, I re-did the brakes & master cylinders. New wires, air lines and new cannon plug on the rear of the tongue. I fashioned mud flaps and put on some clearance lights, as that stuff is required here.

My first job for it was a couple of weeks ago. I needed some boards (some as long as 20'), from Fairbanks. With the tongue extended, it made a nice load. It pulled like a dream. The tires had been holding air, but I watched them close, and still didn't trust them, knowing some of their history. On the way home, I had to air one twice & finally changed it for the spare, as I didn't want to chance ruining it. Later, I found a nail like hole in it that I was able to fix with a tire plug. Otherwise the trip was un-eventfull, and Medusa was perfect. She always draws attention and comments

Attachments

jbingvtx

That is a pile of lumber!! I believe that is the only time I've seen someone use the bolster trailer as it was intended, most folks have repurposed them to a new task. Great pics!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks