• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! I need some basic info relatively quick.

BillIdaho

Ladies and Gentleman of the jury........ I have an M116A2 trailer. For whatever reason-I restored it, and it didnt't turn out too shabby, if I may say so myself ( I know, how hard is it to restore a darn flatbed trailer.....but I digress.) How many people do you know that restores a trailer?
Anyway, I fell into a 3000 watt, 28VDC MEP gas generator that I want to mount on it.
I tossed (and I use that term loosely!!) it up on the bed and noticed no two holes line up relating the MEP to the trailer. So much for pre-drilled mounting holes.
So, I guess my questions up to this point are:
1.) Which way does the MEP face, does it have the rope-start end towards the front or the rear of the trailer?
2.) This particular trailer did have some type of power unit on it, as there are 6 gas-can holders welded to the bed (and up on the fenders). I personally drove this trailer off of a base myself, so any Bubba alterations were done on a depot level, if ya' know what I mean. Could it have been strapped down?
3.) Am I to measure a centered location and drill the holes in the bed to match the mounting skids on the MEP? (I realize I need, and already have, the tapered wedges to hold down the generator frame.)
I am wanting to complete this by the middle of July for a huge show in Boise.
THANQUEZ, gents.

steelandcanvas

Bill I think the M116 had only MEP-002A's and MEP-003A's on them and could be the reason your genset doesn't line up with the existing mounting holes. Sounds as though your big gig in Boise in July might be the Riverfest. I lived in Nampa for about 10 years, and have been to it a few times.
I moved my 003A from the 116 to my 105 as it trailered nicer behind the Deuce. I found the steel cross supports under the deck and lined my 003 up with them, drilled and fastened there. If your genset doesn't line up with some supports, you could just square it in the 116 and use some big washers underneath for strength. Make sure you get the tongue weight right, I moved mine fore and aft until I got about 10% of the weight on the lunette. (Used a bathroom scale) Hope this helps!

Attachments

Last edited:

BillIdaho

THANKS! (BTW, the Riverfest withered away and is history) Now Big Jack Armstrong (The radio DJ) has a huge get-together early in July. It has street rods, trucks, 100' drag races ( My 5-ton against a GPW last year) and everything else you could imagine related to wheels, and engines. Scale models to monster trucks.
Anyway, I shall find a suitable location, reinforce underneath and go for the gusto.
10% of the weight of the MEP on the tongue, in addition to whatever the tongue weight is already, correct?? The aforementioned gas-can holders are all up front, so I already have more tongue weight than before.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on what steelandcanvass told you, except for only MEP002/3s being mounted n them. There were a lot of different genset configurations that used this trailer. (PS, you are not the only one who has restored one. I just finished one up earlier this year.) When figuring the location to mount the generator, I would orient it so that it will be easy to pull start it. Also, when figuring the tongue weight, don't forget that at times you may be getting on he back of the trailer without it hooked up to a vehicle. If you are lazy like me and don't put the back support leg down, it can come over backwards on you (don't ask how I know this).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks